Thread: I think my guinea pig has my flu!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

I think my guinea pig has my flu!

QUICK BACKSTORY ON DOMINO: 5 years old, has wheezed on and off in the past which we think may be a heart problem but are awaiting an ultrasound from the vet, has knee arthritis and is on meloxicam.

So my sisters caught a bad flu on around Tuesday, and now I think I got it too. Although for me it's not nearly as bad compared to them,but we shared similar symptoms. So, earlier I remember reading somewhere that guinea pigs can't catch human colds/viruses, but now that I read into it more, it says they can catch influenza A and influenza B viruses (one of the viruses going around is influenza B). And I had already pet Domino and given them hay without washing my hands. I thought there was still a chance that it wouldn't be effective on them, but then this morning Domino started wheezing. Now again,he has been wheezing on and off in the past before, and I don't know if this is just coincidence or if my poor guy is sick. Carl, Domino's roommate, seems fine and is active as ever. I am thinking of calling the vet today but I am not sure if I should. If I do, should Carl go in too just to be safe? I am so mad at myself since I was such a freak about washing my hands in the past, but then recently I've been letting myself relax with how much I wash my hands :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,242 Rec'd/5,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3810 Post(s)

Re: I think my guinea pig has my flu!

Wheezing is always reason enough to see a vet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Wheezing is always reason enough to see a vet.
    But since he's been wheezing on and off and we've seen the vet since then we know it's not always an emergency. Do you have any opinions on the flu? That would very helpful.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Since your vet knows his background, why not call them? Tell them what happened and see what they say.

But along with what bpatters said, I would take him in myself just to be safe. But at the very least, I would say call the vet then go from there

User Tag List