Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I think my guinea pig has my flu!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
QUICK BACKSTORY ON DOMINO: 5 years old, has wheezed on and off in the past which we think may be a heart problem but are awaiting an ultrasound from the vet, has knee arthritis and is on meloxicam.

So my sisters caught a bad flu on around Tuesday, and now I think I got it too. Although for me it's not nearly as bad compared to them,but we shared similar symptoms. So, earlier I remember reading somewhere that guinea pigs can't catch human colds/viruses, but now that I read into it more, it says they can catch influenza A and influenza B viruses (one of the viruses going around is influenza B). And I had already pet Domino and given them hay without washing my hands. I thought there was still a chance that it wouldn't be effective on them, but then this morning Domino started wheezing. Now again,he has been wheezing on and off in the past before, and I don't know if this is just coincidence or if my poor guy is sick. Carl, Domino's roommate, seems fine and is active as ever. I am thinking of calling the vet today but I am not sure if I should. If I do, should Carl go in too just to be safe? I am so mad at myself since I was such a freak about washing my hands in the past, but then recently I've been letting myself relax with how much I wash my hands :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wheezing is always reason enough to see a vet.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Wheezing is always reason enough to see a vet.

But since he's been wheezing on and off and we've seen the vet since then we know it's not always an emergency. Do you have any opinions on the flu? That would very helpful.

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Since your vet knows his background, why not call them? Tell them what happened and see what they say.

But along with what bpatters said, I would take him in myself just to be safe. But at the very least, I would say call the vet then go from there

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.