Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hellow fellow Guinea pig lovers :3

Piggielover29

Cavy Gazer
I got my very first Guinea pig yesterday, he was a rescue at a pet store. I know alot of people are against pet stores, but this one was a rescue and i trust this one pet store in Wisconsin. He had a names smores but we came up with the name piglet instead. He's a loner one. As he was given to the pet store since he dosen't like other Piggies. I got him, hay, a water bottle, his food Vitim C. He is in a storage bin for a little bit until i can get a bit more money. Please don't dont judge me. Ive been bashed at before in other communities its only for a little while tell I can get the money.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on getting Piglet. I'm sure you are doing the best you can for him at the moment.

For housing, it can help if you are willing to build the cage yourself. If you do want to go this route you may be able to get him out of the storage container into a bigger space sooner. For example if you want to go the C&C cage route if you get the grids first you can use something else (like a shower curtain, or a hard plastic kiddie pool) as a temporary base while saving for coroplast. For now while he is in the storage bin do try and make sure moisture doesn't build up to much (this may mean very frequent cleaning) and make sure to keep the storage bin in a well ventilated area with the lid completely off.

Also I would like to mention that while it is possible Piglet truly isn't okay with other guinea pigs, that it is extremely rare for that to be the case. More often than not (particularly with boars) when they are labeled as too aggressive with other guinea pigs it is either because they were not introduced correctly (see this link for more info about correct introductions if you would like to know https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html ), were housed in an area much too small for that number of guinea pigs, or just didn't have compatible personalities with the (often very limited) other guinea pigs they were tried with.

Also here is the recommended reading we often link new owners, I hope you find some of the information helpful:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs

Last edited:

Piggielover29

Cavy Gazer
I wouldnt really have as much of a choice cause idk if my dad would let me get to. Id get him out of the cage alot tho.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Perhaps it would be worth talking to your father about the options for building a cage to see if he would be on board with the idea or not (it might be worth mentioning making your own cage often ends up being cheaper than buying a ready made cage). It might seems daunting at first but C&C cages are actually fairly easy to put together (as the pieces are mostly ready made, the hardest bit is cutting and scoring the sheet of coroplast). Just make sure that he isn't that taken aback by the size of c&c cages, each grid is 14 inches in size and often the size we recommend for a solo guinea pig (or a sow pair) is a 2 grid by 4 grid cage (but a 2 by 3 grid cage can work for a solo guinea pig). Here is a link with a bunch more information about it https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials

Alternatively if your father is a bit of a handyman and is completely on board and willing to help you build a cage (perhaps even as a bonding experience) you might even be able to do something a little more creative like this cage made mostly from doors https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...Cage-is-complete-and-I-love-it!!!!-(pictures)

Often the hardest part with convincing parents on cages is the size of the cages that are now recommended. Often there is a misconception that the small cages sold in pet stores are plenty big enough, but that hasn't been the standard care for guinea pigs for decades, but because those cages are still sold (because people still buy them) there is still the belief that they are perfectly fine even though that simply isn't the case (the behaviour change when a guinea pig is housed in a small space vs a large space is really night and day).

Last edited:

Piggielover29

Cavy Gazer
I was thinking about soing a homemade one for now with a kids plastic pool. Id prob do somthing else down the road but it would do for now. Im cirrently lookimg for work.

Piggielover29

Cavy Gazer
As for 2 piggies. It womt happen in the near future sadly as im not gonna push my dad when it took years to get onr. Once i got my money together and lived on my oen for sure.

Soecara

Cavy Slave

Piggielover29

Cavy Gazer
I deal with anxiety and depression. Thats why i wanted my own pet. So he will get alot of love and attention and be spoiled.

Twinkie125

Cavy Slave
I got my very first Guinea pig yesterday, he was a rescue at a pet store. I know alot of people are against pet stores, but this one was a rescue and i trust this one pet store in Wisconsin. He had a names smores but we came up with the name piglet instead. He's a loner one. As he was given to the pet store since he dosen't like other Piggies. I got him, hay, a water bottle, his food Vitim C. He is in a storage bin for a little bit until i can get a bit more money. Please don't dont judge me. Ive been bashed at before in other communities its only for a little while tell I can get the money.
Well i won't bash u. My piggy is my first. Always wanted one but finally got mine (louie) his cage is fairly small bc i dont have much room. So i would suggest maybe checking out Amazon. I found a few for decent prices.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.