Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding Pregnant Guniea Pig Questions

meggy

Cavy Gazer
I have two guniea pigs- Squeky (boy) and Willy (girl). I didnt realize that when I got Willy she was a girl so ever since Ive kept them in sperate cages. Whenever I let one out, the other one would watch. Last night, I let Willy run around a little area. Squeaky escaped his own cage and got to Willy. I was in the restroom so I couldnt stop it. Ive been doing research on what will happen and how to take care of a pregnant piggy, and I have a few questions. Willy is small for her age (4 months old) so will she even be able to give birth? Is there a chance that it wont happen? Can you separate the babies from their mother after some time and give them up for adoption? How long should you wait? Overall, Im most concerned about Willy after she gives birth (if she even does). Will she have any problems even if she survives?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How long were they together before you discovered Willy is a girl?

Willy can only get pregnant when she's in heat, which occurs once every 14-16 days. So the recent accidental encounter isn't likely to result in a pregnancy, although it possibly could. If she's pregnant, it more likely occurred when they were together for a longer time.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she for more info.

FYI, unless you're getting him neutered, you need a lid on HER cage. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage, but he can't lift a lid on another cage. Also, don't let them out at the same time. It takes seconds for them to mate, and you could be in the same room and not stop it.

meggy

Cavy Gazer
I let her out with him after I had her for two weeks. All the time thinking she was a boy. I saw my male try to mount her then figured she is not a boy and they have never been together since. Yesterday when I walked in the room I saw him in her cage they were on two different sides and she was in her house. When I picked her up I saw some white waxy thing on her area. I never let them out together.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may not be pregnant.

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
She most likely is but there is of corse the possibility she's not, for the babies (if there are any) you can give them to your vet or a local shelter (once they eat on thier own) because they'll usually take them. just make sure she is as comfortable as possible and well hydrated:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, if she's only been with the male twice for very short periods of time, she's most likely NOT pregnant. She can only get pregnant in about one 24-26 hour period every two weeks.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a place for the pups if any appear on the scene.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.