Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Advice on caring for a sick piggy?

JamieLee

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I made a post earlier asking a few questions about food and such, but I had an update, I also wanted advice on additional things I should do for a piggy with a URI.

I took them to the vet today and I am so glad that I did! Carlos has an upper respiratory infection, so now they are both on antibiotics. Maybe it's just in my head, but I feel like he is already feeling a bit better, I could hear him playing with Hampton and they were making cute little squeaking noises, like they were talking and playing together. Also, when I went to go in the kitchen they didn't run back into their house like normal, they just kept eating!

If anyone has any additional information for caring for sick a sick piggy please let me know!!

Oh! Also, Carlos has a triangle on his back where he is missing a little patch of fur, could this be ring worm? I asked the doctor and she wasn't sure, she said to wait and see if it gets better, and if it isn't, then when I go back in 2 weeks we can have it tested and have antibiotics for that.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
If they are both still feeling well enough to eat and play, that's excellent! The most important thing is to monitor them closely and make sure they aren't getting worse at any point. Monitor their eating and drinking habits and general activity level and be very consistent with giving the antibiotics. Also, it is very important to weigh any pig that is sick at least once daily, preferrably first thing in the morning before they eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.