Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dry skin on one ear

joeyy

Cavy Slave
so my guinea pig has had dry ish skin on her right ear for a month or two and we don?t know if it?s a fungus or not. We?ve been treating it with a topical cream with clotrimazole in case it is fungus but it doesn?t seem to be doing much. It isn?t spreading and it?s only on one ear and just on the outside. She?s completely normal, eating, drinking, wheeking, etc. Im not sure what to do, should I take her to the vet? It also isn?t spreading to my other piggy. I?m thinking it could be dry skin as it is winter and the air in my room is really dry right now, but I?m not sure

Attachments

F6458A70-94BD-4DD4-ABE2-4C82DEC429E5.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How long have you been using the clotrimazole? Fungus is hard to get rid of, and it can take quite a while. If it does improve, you should keep using it until the hair is growing back in.

Or, you could try cold pressed virgin coconut oil for a few weeks and see if that helps. It has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, and might help.

joeyy

Cavy Slave
I’ve been using it since I noticed it which was probably about mid January, although recently I haven’t been very consistent with applying it and that could be why it’s taking a while. I also noticed that most of the hair is actually still on her ear, but I don’t know if that’s relevant or not. I’ll start doing it daily again and hopefully it clears up, if it doesn’t I’ll try the oil. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do be sure to do it regularly. Twice a day is a good schedule.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.