Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Urine, Fleece and options

chellebanelle

Cavy Slave
I've been reading today and see there are varied thoughts on fleece, wood pellets, wood shavings and more.

I'm a repeat owner, this time we have 2 very young males. I have them in a 2x4 C/C with a double ramp loft. I purchased a Cavy Kitchen. I've tried Aspen and Care Fresh in the kitchen...both lasted just 24 hours before the smell was overbearing and obviously not healthy for the pigs. I currently have a layer of Uhaul blanket with fleece over it and so far it's working the best to keep odor away. This is the only thing I don't like about pigs...the smell.

What are you using? What have you found works the best and works the least? Pictures would rock!!!

I sew my own liners and such and I'm considering just sticking with fleece. I'd appreciate any input you have.

(sorry pic is weird, I can't figure out how to flip is around)

Attachments

djtmM5QmQDKuUfSJduv3qA.jpg
Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, but pigs don't usually smell. They're very clean animals. But some beddings do work better than others.

The absolute, hands-down best at odor control is wood pellets. They can be used without a layer of fleece over them, but if your pigs are like mine, they'll drag their veggies through the sawdust, and I'm not sure that's good for them. So I put a light layer of fleece over mine.

That cage is very likely not going to be large enough for two boars -- they just need more room than that. I'd also either throw out the pigloo or cut another hole in it -- hideys with only one door are just an invitation for one pig to trap another and get its face slashed for its efforts.

chellebanelle

Cavy Slave
Their cage is a 2x4 with a 1x2 upper deck. I am in the process of making them all the items they need for their cage. I had pigs in 2011 and a fleece business :) these things take time...only had them 2 weeks.
anyhow...with wood pellets, if I used it just in the kitchen, how would I clean it and how often? What type do I purchase?

Sorry, but pigs don't usually smell. They're very clean animals. But some beddings do work better than others.

The absolute, hands-down best at odor control is wood pellets. They can be used without a layer of fleece over them, but if your pigs are like mine, they'll drag their veggies through the sawdust, and I'm not sure that's good for them. So I put a light layer of fleece over mine.

That cage is very likely not going to be large enough for two boars -- they just need more room than that. I'd also either throw out the pigloo or cut another hole in it -- hideys with only one door are just an invitation for one pig to trap another and get its face slashed for its efforts.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need wood pellets with no pesticides, no accelerants, and no strong pine odor. I use TerrAmigo horse stall bedding, but you can also use stove pellets. You don't want the kind you barbecue with, just those used for heating. I put two 40-pound bags in my large (16+ square feet) cage about 7 months ago or so, and haven't changed them since. I do stir the occasionally, and the ones on bottom look just like they did when I poured them in there. I think I'll get a full year's worth of use out of about $15 worth of pellets.

You don't really clean the pellets -- you just throw them out. They'll form a layer of hard sawdust on top that can be swept like any floor. It gradually loses its absorbency and you have to stir them.

chellebanelle

Cavy Slave
How many pigs in 16ft?
My pigs are in my office. I?m just not sure how I?d empty the old stuff. I can?t move their cage.

You need wood pellets with no pesticides, no accelerants, and no strong pine odor. I use TerrAmigo horse stall bedding, but you can also use stove pellets. You don't want the kind you barbecue with, just those used for heating. I put two 40-pound bags in my large (16+ square feet) cage about 7 months ago or so, and haven't changed them since. I do stir the occasionally, and the ones on bottom look just like they did when I poured them in there. I think I'll get a full year's worth of use out of about $15 worth of pellets.

You don't really clean the pellets -- you just throw them out. They'll form a layer of hard sawdust on top that can be swept like any floor. It gradually loses its absorbency and you have to stir them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I only have two, but I have had three in that cage. I also put a pretty deep layer of pellets --3"-4".

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
The wood pellets are really great for odour control.
I also have an air purifier in the piggies room that runs 24/7, it helps a lot.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My pigs are in my office. I?m just not sure how I?d empty the old stuff. I can?t move their cage.

My boys are in my home office as well. Love that setup because we're together a lot and I get to see all the cute things they do.

Have you thought about putting casters on the cage? My large cage is wedged into a corner and is between my desk and a wall. I doubt that I could get it out of the room, but with the casters, I CAN move it out to clean under/behind it.

I don't currently use wood pellets, but my suggestion would be to use a large scoop and put them in heavy-duty garbage bags and then perhaps into a garbage can with wheels. Obviously, there are others here who have far more experience than I with this setup.

Your cage is too small for two boars! I have my boys in a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft and I would expand it in a heartbeat if I had the room. A 1x2 loft is virtually useless if you have more than one cavy, even if you do have two ramps. Invariably, both will want to go to the loft at the same time and it's just too crowded.

I have an offset loft which makes it easy to clean the main level beneath it and the offset goes back into the corner where the space would otherwise be wasted. If you make the loft really sturdy, you won't need any type of support under it. The graphic below is the design that I used, but without any support. Below are pics that will show you what I mean.

Big cage - small space.jpg Crowded Loft.jpg Loft3.jpg Offset loft design.jpg

Attachments

Box & loft.jpg
Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.