Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Help I found a lump on my piggies belly.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
So i was getting my guinea pig out and i set her on my lap so she can sit with me at my desk and i noticed that she has a lump on her belly. its kind of hard when I touch it and it is between her front and back legs on her right side. i am not sure how long it has been there but i don't think very long. she is 4 years old and i am so worried for her. i cant take her to the vet so i was wondering if any of you might know what it is?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We have no way of knowing what it is, and you absolutely need to get her to an exotic vet. It may be something that can resolved very easily, but the longer you wait, the more complicated it will be.

It's not always true, but in general, a soft squishy lump is less worrisome than a harder one, which may be malignant.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
What are the reasons you can't get her to the vet? If there's really no way you can get your guinea pig to a cavy-savvy exotics vet, then it may be time to contact someone who can provide her with the veterinary care she needs. She may likely be suffering, and since guinea pigs are prey animals, she's more apt to hide it than let you know she's hurting or feeling sick. Unfortunately, it sounds like she may need imaging, blood work, and/ or medication. I hope you can find some way to get her a cavy-savvy exotics vet.

Here's a quick guide I've found useful in finding a cavy-savvy vet: https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
What are the reasons you can't get her to the vet? If there's really no way you can get your guinea pig to a cavy-savvy exotics vet, then it may be time to contact someone who can provide her with the veterinary care she needs. She may likely be suffering, and since guinea pigs are prey animals, she's more apt to hide it than let you know she's hurting or feeling sick. Unfortunately, it sounds like she may need imaging, blood work, and/ or medication. I hope you can find some way to get her a cavy-savvy exotics vet.

Here's a quick guide I've found useful in finding a cavy-savvy vet: https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html

I appolagize for late reply. I do understand that vet care is important for animals and that you should have that in mine but I really would rather not have a lecture from someone again as a pre to my answer. Taking an animal to the vet costs hundreds of dollars and that is money I simply don't have. Further more there is not vet in my area that specializes in guinea pigs so that's a big no. Currently she doesn't not seem to be irritated when the tumor is touched and she is doing everything normally. I am making her life as comfortable as possible and loving on her as much as I can. I should know next month if she has cancer because Guinea pigs don't live that long with it. I will miss her a lot, but I will try and post to keep anyone who is interested updated about her situation. So right now it is just a waiting game. Thank you for your concern and I hope you understand the situation I am in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then you should try to find a rescue to surrender her to so that she can get medical care. Taking care of a pet's medical needs is just as much a part of responsible pet care as food and housing. Your pig depends on you for everything, and it's not fair to her to not get her treated.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I can't see just waiting around to see if she dies. There's a reason human cancer patients are given morphine. It's painful. If you won't surrender her, please consider at least taking her to a vet or shelter to be euthanized so she won't suffer. Any vet can do that, it doesn't have to be an exotic vet.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I second both batters and pigmommy89. Just letting her suffer and die because you don't want to give her up to someone who can provide the needed medical care is, to be frank, cruel. If you cannot provide veterinary care, which is understandable, then I repeat what I said before: time to surrender her to someone who can care for her. I pray you do the right thing, for her sake.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
I second both batters and pigmommy89. Just letting her suffer and die because you don't want to give her up to someone who can provide the needed medical care is, to be frank, cruel. If you cannot provide veterinary care, which is understandable, then I repeat what I said before: time to surrender her to someone who can care for her. I pray you do the right thing, for her sake.
Honestly I am offended at all of your comments. She is my baby and letting her live her last moments with me is not cruel. If I gave her to someone else she would be very scared and I can't have that on my conscience. If she dose have cancer that would mean that she would inevitably die with a stranger and that to me is the most cruel thing I could do. As far as unthenising her, I'm not even sure if she does have cancer. If it is just a fatty tumor then I would have nothing to worry about and she would have died for nothing. I posted to get genuine help on identifying the cause of her growth not a lecture on how to kill a pet when she isn't showing any signs of distress. I feel like me being there for my baby and taking care of her and making sure that she is happy is my main priority. I love her very much and it would break my heart to kill her. I feel like non of you have her feelings in mind or how I feel. Inted you just care about her dying or taking her from me. That in itself is cruel and all of you don't know how to take care of a pet properly with love.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
She's not suffering though.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
No one will care for a cancer pig the will kill her. Especially since she is old.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
I feel like no one cares about her hear. I don't want a lecture on how to care for her I just need some support. Non of y'all care about that or how I feel. Frankly it's sad that the first thing that comes to all your minds is kill her. Her condition has not gone down and it's been 2 weeks. All my family love her and they say when her condition goes south that's when she should be euthanized, and I agree. She is acting fine and feeling fine, I know that they hid illnesses well but I know all the signs and would be able to tell when something's wrong. It's not my first time having an animal but it is my first time dealing with not knowing what she has. You need to understand that nothing has been wrong with her accept for the growth. It is very common for guinea pigs to get a tumor and I knew this would happen eventually and I am prepared to make a tough decision IF her condition goes down hill and only if. I hope that you all understand but again you probably are going to lecture me again at how I'm such a bad person for wanting my baby TO LIVE.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
What we want is for her to get proper vet care so you'll know whether or not it's cancer, a fatty tumor, or something else. If it's cancer, then pain management and/ or euthanasia would be humane. You CANNOT find the cause without proper vet care.

And guinea pigs are prey animals, which means they'll hide their discomfort from you, even if she is suffering horribly. You don't know if she's suffering or not; piggies are extremely good at hiding pain. That's what they've evolved to do. The bottom line is she deserves proper vet care. That's why we've been begging you to get her to someone who will take care of her, be it a formal rescue or someone with a big heart.

Please do the right thing. Please either get her the care she NEEDS, or please surrender her to a rescue or someone who will give her the care she needs.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
What we want is for her to get proper vet care so you'll know whether or not it's cancer, a fatty tumor, or something else. If it's cancer, then pain management and/ or euthanasia would be humane. You CANNOT find the cause without proper vet care.

And guinea pigs are prey animals, which means they'll hide their discomfort from you, even if she is suffering horribly. You don't know if she's suffering or not; piggies are extremely good at hiding pain. That's what they've evolved to do. The bottom line is she deserves proper vet care. That's why we've been begging you to get her to someone who will take care of her, be it a formal rescue or someone with a big heart.

Please do the right thing. Please either get her the care she NEEDS, or please surrender her to a rescue or someone who will give her the care she needs.
I touched the spot, she did nothing. Everything I've seen about cancer in animals, guinea pigs and even humans it always hurts when the spot is touched. I may not be a vet but I know a lot about guinea pigs and she shows not outer symptoms of pain. If you saw her you would say the same. I know no one who would take her and pay for the vet. Even if she had the medical care for cancer there is a very low chance she would survive. I doubt she has cancer at this point because she has out lived the cancer expectations and does not have any of the signs accept the growth. I get you want her to get the care she needs but honestly from what I see vets doing they probably would kill her anyway and it would be out of my hands. She's not biting at it or scratching it. She has no response to it being touched she even sleeps on both sides and doesn't care if it is squashed so I don't get why I have to give her away when all she has is a bump. I was super worried for her when I made this thread but the more and more I soend time with her and reader he the more that I doubt she has anything serious. If all the sudden she starts getting even a little bad then I will consider euthinsing her but only if she starts having symptoms.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Why are you guys so quick to want to jump to conclusions and think the worst.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Also rescues that take guinea pigs are far from were I live and the rescues that are near me don't take small animals. A vet isn't always needed in every case. The only thing they would be able to do that I couldn't is X-ray and surgery with I can't afford and would do nothing anyway.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
I have no options. Accept for observing and looking for the signs.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
If you think I would let her die in pain your wrong. I see no point though in killing her when nothing is wrong and the thing I think she has is just a fatty tumor which I am quiet familiar with. I have done extensive research on all the options and this is the one that makes the most sense for all of the things she exhibits. Just because I'm not certified doesn't mean I can't come to my own conclusion And research all possibilities.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Here's an honest question, what would you do if you were in my position? No one to give her to, no vet to go to, no shelter that will take her. Not much money, no heart to kill her when nothing seems wrong. Having a pretty good idea what she has but yet having others shame you for not having options. oh yea forgot to mention the vet in my area does dogs, cats and strangely birds but not guinea pigs. I have nothing I can do that you have suggested and still you shame me when I am almost 100% sure she has just a fatty tumor. Idk what to do anymore with people like you guys. I hoped to get support and answers but this post was a waist of my time when I realize that all y'all have no compassion or understand.

urofan

Cavy Slave
Guinea Girl would you please post a picture of the lump?

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
A lot of forums I have read have had people genuinely care and feel for the person that is asking the question, but all I'm getting here is that you guys think I'm a bad mum to my piggy just cuz I don't have the heart to euthinze her. Think about a mother with her child that has cancer, the mom wouldn't put her child down because the kid is sick. That's my situation. Even though I still don't think she has anything serious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.