Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Help I found a lump on my piggies belly.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Just so y'all know this will be my last post since no one here will understand or atleast try and understand instead of jumping to conclusions and badgering me. From now on I'll stop asking people to help me if it just gets me lectures when my heart was breaking and I still am out of options. Bye.

urofan

Cavy Slave
Guinea Girl2 have you considered making a go fund me account for your guinea pig? You can also ask a church if there is someone who will donate money so that your guinea pig can go see a veterinarian. I am very sorry that your guinea pig is sick.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Guinea Girl2 have you considered making a go fund me account for your guinea pig? You can also ask a church if there is someone who will donate money so that your guinea pig can go see a veterinarian. I am very sorry that your guinea pig is sick.
Ik I said I wasn't going to post anymore, but I read your post and that's a really good idea.

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
If you see this guineagirl please call around and check vet prices. I have a local vet who doesn't like to see pets have to be put down. To make a long story short though i was in your exact spot and 3 days ago she removed a tumor for $75.00 from my piggy.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
oh wow that's awesome! Ill try and noodle around some more and see if there might be another vet that could take her. It would be good to find one for a reasonable price that way bella doesn't have to live her life with tumor on her belly. Quick update on bella, she is doing great! Even though shes got a lump on her belly shes running around and playing and being so so sweet. After more research and observation on her I have ruled out a cyst, infection and cancer. My diagnosis would be just a tumor. So ill look some more in my area and see if I can find a vet with prices that don't cost and arm and a leg. Glad your guinea pig is doing good to!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello I am glad to hear Bella seems to be doing okay. Do you by chance have access to a kitchen scale? If not you can get one for around 20 bucks online. It is good to weigh her every week. Make sure you do it around the same time, I do mine before their veggies at dinner time.

A guinea pigs weight it a great way to monitor their health. As other members have posted, piggies are great at hiding their pain. By weighing them you can actually see that they are eating well which can't be seen by how much hay/veg is missing. A piggy in pain will eat less which would be reflected by weight loss.

In addition to finding a lower vet clinic, some vets also offer care credit which could help you pay off the bills. Another idea is if their is a guinea pig rescue nearby reach out to them and ask what vet they use.

Unfortunately vet bills are a common expense for guinea pigs so certainly is something to keep in mind when owning one. I do hope you are able to find the funds/a vet that fits your budget. Do keep in mind also, that sometimes a cheaper vet doesn't make it a good one, so try to find reviews or ask if they do specialize in guinea pigs.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Ill look around my house im pretty sure that we have a scale for food somewhere. Ill try and make a habit of weighing her from now on. As for her eating one thing I know I probably shouldn't be worried about, but every second of the day she keeps squeaking at me for food and of course I give her some, but she is going through hay like crazy which I know is normal and she is also going through food and veggies to. Should I monitor what she eats so she doesn't get to fat. I know that It can be unhealthy for them I just don't know what to do I she keeps squeaking at me for more food. Any ideas? It seems as if her appetite has increased is this good or bad.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Oh and quick thing, every time I come to my room (which is where she is) I have ether my breakfast lunch supper or a snack in my hand. I take 1 bite of it and she starts squeaking. This got so bad to ware im in another room that a good away from her and she squeaks again(loudly) It got kinda funny and was a joke around the house. Then I noticed that she only does it with me , no one else but me for some reason. Has anyone else had this happen before? Its kinda cute though. And my bunny jack does the smae thing but instead of squeaking he thumps to get my attention.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's almost no chance of her getting too fat. It's VERY rare to see an obese herbivore -- it's like you getting fat eating nothing but salads.

If you're feeding her everytime she squeaks, you've just taught her that the best way to get food is to squeak. You'll have to stop feeding her except at meal times if you want to cut down on the squeaking.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Gotcha cuz its driving me crazy. Its still so cute :3

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Question. Should I keep my guinea pig and bunny separated? I know she just has a tumor but she looks so sad when jack has his play without her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, keep them separated. They should never be allowed together. A rabbit can "binky" and land on a guinea pig, breaking its back. They can also disembowel a pig with their strong back feet. Rabbits can also carry bacteria that are dangerous for guinea pigs.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
I have had both of their cages stacked on top of one another for 2 years so woops. Jack is so sweet really... I have let them play together and they don't really play but they more just trail each other and explore the floor or they just snuggle. I'v never had any problems with Jack jack being to rough or mean to her and I haven't notice and sickness from the bacteria which I only learned about a few months ago. I was just wondering with Bella still in the grey area for sickness and I didn't know if she could spread anything to him or if her immune system would be to weak for her to play with him. I love them both to pieces and would hate it if jack got sick. They are kinda like brother and sister to each other. I might post a pic later of them snuggling.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
18901140_1267221103400077_1281586375_o.jpg18926340_1267220966733424_1913302471_o.jpg18902079_1267191313403056_746650866_n.jpg There, they are sooo cute love them both.15073491_10208701915647235_968874071542603252_n.jpg20140604_151337.jpg And here are their baby pics gnawww. And yes ik that you shouldn't hold a rabbit like that, but I didn't learn till a couple of days later after I got him when I looked it up.

Last edited:

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
I need help quick! I've noticed for the past week that there are gnats that keep I guess hatching near my guinea pigs cage. I keep cleaning her cage and scrubbing it down but the problem persists. Everyday it looks like I kill them all then they come right back in a huge swarm above my piggies cage. This is starting to worrie me. I put up a fly ribbon and it has gotten them for the most part but they keep coming back! I can't figure out where or why so can someone give me some ideas on how to get rid of these pests.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had an infestation of what I thought were fruit flies -- tiny black flies that swarmed around the guinea pig cage and at night, on the ceiling. They weren't fruit flies, though, as they were not at all attracted to sweet things in traps I put out.

I tried everything I could think of -- keeping the cage scrupulously clean, hanging fly tape, vacuuming them off the ceiling, cleaning the drains, whatever. Nothing worked. I finally bought a bug zapper similar to this: (broken link removed)

It makes a popping noise when the bug hits it, but the pigs got used to that really quickly. It took several days to get rid of them, but it finally worked.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Wow I never thought of a bug zapper! Hopefully I can get these gnats out because they are driving me and Bella crazy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had an infestation of what I thought were fruit flies -- tiny black flies that swarmed around the guinea pig cage and at night, on the ceiling. They weren't fruit flies, though, as they were not at all attracted to sweet things in traps I put out.

I tried everything I could think of -- keeping the cage scrupulously clean, hanging fly tape, vacuuming them off the ceiling, cleaning the drains, whatever. Nothing worked. I finally bought a bug zapper similar to this: (broken link removed)

It makes a popping noise when the bug hits it, but the pigs got used to that really quickly. It took several days to get rid of them, but it finally worked.

I had no idea something like this even existed, and there is an outdoor version as well. Thank you for this, @bpatters.

GuineaGirl2

Cavy Slave
Guys, great news. I was giving Bella a bath so maybe it would make her feel nice and I found out something. She doesn't have a tumor, it's and abscess. This has made me relieved and also kind of nervous. My dad and mom are going to help me to try and heal her up and make sure she has a good recovery. The abscess has not busted yet but me and my dad are in agreement that it needs to bust. And don't worry I won't squeeze on it that would be animal cruelty and horrible. Check out this link https://wizzley.com/help-my-guinea-pig-has-an-abscess/ My dad has prepared a treatment for her if and when it busts. I will keep all of you imformed on her statues and how everything goes. Needless to say it looks like it is about to bust open and I really hope I can heal her up.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to be very careful. She probably has cervical lymphadenitis, which is very contagious. If so, it needs to be lanced, kept continuously open with flushing, and she needs oral antibiotics. This is not something you want to deal with yourself.

If it does burst, do NOT let it scab over. If you do, it will just keep recurring, and eventually the infection will wear her down. Guinea pig pus is very thick and cheesy, and it takes flushing with some force to get all the pus out of the wound. Use plastic gloves, and be very careful not to get any of the pus on you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.