Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Allergic to alfalfa hay with pregnant sow

guineapiggiepie

Cavy Slave
About a month ago I adopted two boars from the SPCA. Today, I was informed by our vet that they're both sows and one is pregnant! Oy vey! My piggies are ~4-6 months, and I have them on timothy hay and alfalfa pellets. It was recommended to make the switch to alfalfa hay now since the discovery. I'm allergic to alfalfa hay. Is it absolutely necessary?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
No it isn't necessary. Pregnant sows need extra calcium, and alfalfa hay is just one way to get that to them, seeing as you are already feeding alfalfa pellets she is already getting extra calcium through them, just make sure to give her unlimited pellets (unlimited pellets are okay for guinea pigs under 6 months of age). Even when feeding alfalfa hay it should only ever be in addition to timothy hay, as alfalfa hay doesn't do much for keeping their teeth ground down.

If you want to give only the pregnant one a little extra calcium you can always take the non-pregnant one out for lap time and put a high calcium vegetable in the cage for the pregnant one to eat (such as a couple sprigs of parsley).

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave

guineapiggiepie

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! I switched back to timothy hay and both piggies thank me too. They're not into alfalfa either. :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.