Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids C&C grid finish Is it pet safe if chewed?

Wheekling

Cavy Gazer
Has anyone researched the finishes on these storage cube grids to find out if they are safe for pets to be in prolonged contact with, and to chew on?

Since the cubes /grids are not actually a product intended to be used as a cage for animals, does anyone know if there is a problem with paint, coating, etc. being potentially toxic if ingested by guinea pigs chewing on the bars? I realize that there are lots of different manufacturers and types of grids, and I threw my box away. I cringe everytime they start to chew, so I will be going to store for info off the box ASAP.

As popular as these C&C cages are, I assumed they had been researched for safety, but I can't find any info so far. This is my first day here, and first day with cage. My old cage had a hard baked enamel pet safe finish, and they weren't chewing anyway, so I didn't think of the chewing being an issue. I would hate to "assume" they are safe, and find out later I was wrong.

Mine were bought at BB&B, and have a black matte finish, doesnt seem to chip like paint, and the brand was STUDIO 3B, LIBERTY PROCUREMENT.

I will be finding out more on my own, but would appreciate any info anyone else has regarding safety of the finish on grids, in general. I know people have been using them awhile without issues, but I want more info than that.

Thank you

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen any specific research, but people have been using the grids for years with no ill effects. I'm absolutely certain that the inventor of the cages made sure they were safe first.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends. Some are covered in plastic, and the plastic can be gnawed off. On others, the paint chips off and the metals rusts. The best ones are powder coated, and are pretty indestructible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.