Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introductions: need some encouragement

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Well, today was the big day! We introduced our 3 females. Honestly, it's gone quite well and now they are in their new cage. I *know* the stuff going on now is normal, but it's still hard to watch (chasing, nipping, hair pulling, etc)---no blood.

I just feel bad for all piggies involved (well, except for the one asserting the dominance [emoji6]).

Just feeling stressed for the pigs...thanks for listening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I've done probably 15 introductions in the past few years and they're still nerve-wracking. Just make sure everybody is getting enough to eat and they should settle down in a few days.

chickpea222

Cavy Slave
Thanks pigmommy89! I have such a disconnect in my brain -- I read all the articles about Introductions and the days/weeks following, and yet I'm stressed to the max this time around (this is our 2nd introduction) -- even though what seems to be going on is all normal.

2 quick followups: all the articles say to make sure blood isn't being shed....my question would be, how can you tell? I have 2 black haired guinea pigs (and dark fleece) and I would literally have to get them out of the cage and examine them up close, is that what I should do? They are the ones getting dominated, so they are the most likely candidates....

Also you mention making sure everyone it getting enough to eat, and I know I've read some people have scales for their pigs, but I don't. Is this something I can just guesstimate at by observing how much each one is at the food/hay, or should I go out and get a scale? And if so, got any recommendations?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also you mention making sure everyone it getting enough to eat, and I know I've read some people have scales for their pigs, but I don't. Is this something I can just guesstimate at by observing how much each one is at the food/hay, or should I go out and get a scale? And if so, got any recommendations?

Most definitely get a digital kitchen scale, that measures in grams. It's your first line of defense in knowing if one of your pigs is ill.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're bleeding, you'll know it. Just run your hands over them. And it doesn't hurt to check them over every day anyway.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I just went through my first introduction a little over a week ago. I had prepared a lot and was ready for it...and then it was happening and I was NOT ready for it. I introduced 1 pig to my existing 2. It went okay and first and things went downhill (hair pulling, one instance of charging) and I literally stared at them and had them in their play area for over 6 hours. I was sitting on the floor making sure everything was going to be okay, and I was on my computer the whole time freaking out and making sure everything was normal.

Now over a week later, I think things are getting better by the day. I feel comfortable with them in the same cage and I am not worried about their safety anymore, but the new pig still hasn't warmed up to them. She was by herself for over 2 years (and is afraid of all veggies :( ) but she is starting to accept the fact that she doesn't need to sit in the corner by herself all the time.

At the time I thought my introduction was extremely stressful and that it went terrible, but it really didn't.

Hope things start to get better soon and that they start to settle down!

chickpea616

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for all the replies. I do feel better about the situation today, compared to yesterday.

One last thing: has anyone seen dominance change after introductions? Sparkle used to be top pig, but now Sausage has clearly taken her place. The new one, Seven, simply submitted from the beginning.

I'm kinda worried about Sparkle, even though she's eating and drinking, she's also doing a fair amount of hiding and cowering. Normal for the first day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally normal. And dominance can change throughout their relationship.

Weigh Sparkle daily to make sure she's getting enough to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.