Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Can guinea pigs show TOO much dominance?

winniethepooh

Cavy Gazer
Hey guinea pig owners!
I have a problem: I have 2 guinea pigs. They used to get along because my guinea pig had been a baby and the older boy was like a dad to the him. But, as they grew older, they started to fight. We finally decided to seperate them because it came to the point where blood was drawn and we saw a scab on the older one.
We kept them seperated for a long time, probably a few months, then we decided to re-introduce them a bunch of times and each time we tried, they either jumped at each other or both kept teeth chattering.
Then, a few days ago, we decided to re-introduce them and... IT WORKED! The younger guinea pig is the boss of them. But, there is still something going on. They are always teeth chattering or rumble-strutting once they get near each other in the cage.
Maybe the cage is too small? Maybe they need to get fixed? I have no idea, do you guys?

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hey guinea pig owners!
I have a problem: I have 2 guinea pigs. They used to get along because my guinea pig had been a baby and the older boy was like a dad to the him. But, as they grew older, they started to fight. We finally decided to seperate them because it came to the point where blood was drawn and we saw a scab on the older one.
We kept them seperated for a long time, probably a few months, then we decided to re-introduce them a bunch of times and each time we tried, they either jumped at each other or both kept teeth chattering.
Then, a few days ago, we decided to re-introduce them and... IT WORKED! The younger guinea pig is the boss of them. But, there is still something going on. They are always teeth chattering or rumble-strutting once they get near each other in the cage.
Maybe the cage is too small? Maybe they need to get fixed? I have no idea, do you guys?
How old are the guinea pigs and what are the dimensions of the cage?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hey guinea pig owners!
Also, here is an article on guinea pig bonding basics: https://www.animalhumanesociety.org/guinea-pig-bonding-basics

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

winniethepooh

Cavy Gazer
They are 1 year apart from each other, Jake (older one): 2 years old Winnie (younger): 1 year. The cage is 20 in x 40 in

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cage isn't large enough for one pig, much less two, still less two boars. You need at least 12-13 square feet for two boars, you've got less than six.

winniethepooh

Cavy Gazer
The cage isn't large enough for one pig, much less two, still less two boars. You need at least 12-13 square feet for two boars, you've got less than six.
Okay, thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.