Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C My cage is too small! I need a new cage!

winniethepooh

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pigs (both boys) are living in quite a small cage. I had originally planned to only have 1 guinea pig but Jake had seemed sad and unhappy. So, after research, I got another guinea pig, Winnie.
Since I am looking for a new cage, I need some help! I need ideas for my new cage. I was thinking a C&C cage with fleece bedding but I need a decent size to make it. I also need tips about fleece bedding and if I should put plastic under it or should I buy it from Ebay, an absorbent one?
I'm not sure what my final plan is so could I get some tips and ideas? Thanks, Haylee.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This link has the minimum cage space requirements per number of pigs: https://www.guineapigcages.com/
But do note that with boars, you generally want to go to the next size up since boars tend to require more space than sows to keep the peace.

From the home page of that link, you'll also see a box in the upper-left corner called "C & C Cages". There are several tabs under that box that tells you all about C&C cages, where to find materials and how to construct your own.

There is also a sticky under the Fleece forum called "The Fleece Project: The Study" that is an excellent guide on how to prepare and use fleece bedding. I have used fleece for my pigs for several years now, and one big piece of advice I can give is to construct your fleece bedding into "fleece flippers". (There's a video on YouTube; should be the first one.)

My original fleece setup had just a giant, single-piece fleece blanket lying in the cage on top of two layers of U-Haul padding. I quickly ran into problems because since the fleece was not moveable, the pigs' favorite spots to hang out quickly became saturated with urine. In fact, both my boars got UTIs at one point from lying in pee all day! After that, I found the fleece flipper video and with a quick lesson from my Mom on how to use the sewing machine, I re-constructed that giant sheet of fleece into flippers that I can rotate daily and flip over mid-week. It helps distribute the mess so no one area gets overused, and helps keep things MUCH, much cleaner. Hope this helps!

winniethepooh

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much! I defintely needed the help!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello! It is wonderful you want to make a cxc cage. I am not sure you know, but in case you prefer to buy a cxc this website is great https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/. I made my own originally but used the wrong thickness of coroplast so eventually just bought a new base that I love.

Since you have two boars you want at least a 2x4 although personally if you have the space/money for it bigger is always better. More room allows for you to have fun with hideouts and makes cleaning easier.
Speaking of fleece is so much better. I have sewn liners with prewashed fleece on the outside and two layers of Uhaul padding on the inside. I also have used flippers but found it a hassle because poop fell through so instead use potty pads with my liner. Potty pads are just smaller squares of fleece with Uhaul padding that you put in areas they go to the bathroom alot (mine are under all hideys and food and water). This way your main fleece stays clean longer. I usually change out my potty pads every few days unless they are really gross.
If you use your own fleece you need to wash it multiple times until it wicks. This can be tested by dropping a few drops of water and seeing if it floats on top or absorbs into the fleece. To wash fleece you need an unscented detergent with NO fabric softener. I add white vinegar too but some say that isn't good for the washing machine so I would check yours first. Fleece can be air dried or in the dryer with NO dryer sheet.
To clean off fleece a little brush and broom is useful, like a mini dustpan. If you have a small hand vacuum that can work too.
For cage design ideas I recommend going through the forums "Cage: Let's see your cage Pictures please." There are tons of ideas! I included a photo of mine so you can see all the fun hideys you can make with fleece and grids. Also under the water botte you can see a potty pad/drip pad. If you need help making the cxc let us know. Good luck!
IMG_8237.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, @wheekermommy, with two boars, she wants larger than a 2x4. A 2x4 is just too small for two boars.

Also, if you'll double space between paragraphs, your posts will be easier to read. Thanks.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I second wheekermommy! I would definitely encourage at least 2x5 since boars need a LOT of space to get away from each other, the little stinkers lol.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
No, @wheekermommy, with two boars, she wants larger than a 2x4. A 2x4 is just too small for two boars.

Also, if you'll double space between paragraphs, your posts will be easier to read. Thanks.

I appreciate the correction, up until recently I have only had girls so I mispoke. Thanks for the tip, I will double space in the future!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.