Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Sick guinea pig. Won't eat or do anything!

afpiggy

Cavy Gazer
My pig is Mr. Cuddles (a she somehow). She got sick a few days ago, but very few problems, and yesterday through today i have seen her eat about 1 cubic centimeter of food (tomatoes). She won't move unless she needs to, and I dont know if she will even drink. We tried hand-feeding her and syringe feeding her but nothing. We started a chart for her weight, checking once after breakfast and once after dinner.
Weight:
AM-663g
PM-646g
Last night she weighed six-eighty-something.
She is losing weight WAY to fast. I'm afraid she will die.
We bought a critical care thing but its coming on saturday. I hope its not too late.
By the way she only got like 3 drops of syringe feeding.
We have a second pig named Rose but she is even slightly overweight, being the dominant pig.
Any suggestions? This is urgent.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it's urgent. It was urgent the minute she stopped eating. You need to get her to a good exotic vet NOW.

And when you're syringe feeding her, don't give her the option not to eat. You outweigh her by many, many pounds, and you have to force her to eat.

Until the Critical Care comes, you can feed her a pellet slurry. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/115000-Handfeeding-a-guinea-pig

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Where are you located (city/ state or general area)? We can help track down a good exotics vet. I second bpatters: you must force her to eat. Pellet and water slurry will do until critical care comes in.

afpiggy

Cavy Gazer
OK ty idk if i have enough money to take her but ive given her alot of good care the critical care arrives tomorrow.
Also, i think it might be a dental problem. She seems to dribble out half of what i give her. Her chin is constantly sticky or wet. I have her sepparated from the other piggy.
Thank you so much.
Also another thing she gained 3 grams since this morning but lost 25 afterwards
I live in McMinnville, TN. i know some close ones are manchester, and guinea pig dental care in monteagle

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Three grams isn't an amount of weight to gain. One teaspoon of water weighs less than 5 grams, so three grams can be accounted for by whether or not she's peed, pooped, had anything to drink or eat.

If she's dribbling food, you're not getting it far enough back in her mouth, and/or the mixture is too wet. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/115000-Handfeeding-a-guinea-pig for more information.

You need to get this pig to a vet, even if you have to borrow the money. She depends on you for everything in her life, and medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food and housing. You need to have several hundred dollars put back as an emergency fund for situations just like this. Some guinea pigs go all their lives without needed vet care, but you can't count on that, and when you need it in an emergency, it will be expensive.

afpiggy

Cavy Gazer
I am just a 12-year old kid. I cant borrow money and i think i know what the problem is.
She is pretty old, and this morning she was breathing wierd. I think its too late and age cant be fixed by the vet

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she was breathing weird, it's likely an upper respiratory infection. Pigs get them quite often, and it can be fixed by a vet. Granted, it can be harder for an older pig to fight but she at least deserves the chance.

Would your parents be willing to take her to the vet with you? I know if it were my childs' pet? I'd have them there in a heartbeat, but that's me. Others see things differently.

afpiggy

Cavy Gazer
I am just a 12-year old kid. I cant borrow money and i think i know what the problem is.
She is pretty old, and this morning she was breathing wierd. I think its too late and age cant be fixed by the vet
EDIT: YAY! i got 10 ml of pellet-water in her this morning. I will do my best to force more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.