Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece My piggies keep burrowing underneath the fleece!

lilitsybell

Cavy Slave
While extremely adorable, one of my guinea pigs is a master at finding out how to get underneath her fleece! I've tried everything from tucking it underneath the outside of the cage, to adding tunnels where she usually "digs" her way under, to adding more hidey places! Any ideas on how to get her to stop? I've included a picture of the little culprit.

dK1HEKn.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Some of my guinea pig are avid digger/burrowers. The only thing that I have found that really stops them burrowing under their fleece bedding long term is to give them what they want.

What I mean by this is give them fleece to burrow under in a way that you are happy with. I have several small blankets of fleece (most are about 20 to 30 inches in size in both width and diameter, all of them prepped so they wick moisture), and when I clean there cage I toss one of the small fleece blankets (I call them the decoy fleece) in on top in a corner for them to burrow and lay under. Two of mine will cart them all over the cage, the other two keep them in just the one favourite spot, but it keeps them happy and keeps the full cage lining fleece in place. These decoy fleeces do get changed out regularly in my cages simply because of how popular (thus heavily used) they are.

lilitsybell

Cavy Slave
And they never go under the bottom fleece? Right now I have the bottom fleece as just a layer over towels (changing this to actual liners once I get their new cage which is arriving next week). I'm definitely going to try this! It seems like it'll work. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.