Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Recommended Clippers Brands?

Levon

Cavy Slave
Brand new piggie owner here, and one of my two girls has a seriously wild Peruvian coat... I?ve read that skittish pigs are hard to use scissors on, so I?m thinking of looking at some quiet electric pet clippers to do the job ? does anyone know of a particular good brand / set that they?ve used or know others have used?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Brand new piggie owner here, and one of my two girls has a seriously wild Peruvian coat... I?ve read that skittish pigs are hard to use scissors on, so I?m thinking of looking at some quiet electric pet clippers to do the job ? does anyone know of a particular good brand / set that they?ve used or know others have used?

I previously had a Texel who required regular grooming, mostly for hygienic reasons. Cutting curly hair requires a slightly different approach than straight hair. It is easy to get the clippers caught in the hair, pull it and cause pain. With any type of hair, I suggest that you start with cutting the hair in increments........cut a bit off first and then gradually go shorter until you have it the desired length. I also occasionally cut my Abbys' hair to help reduce bulk and shedding in the warmer months.

I found that my cavies were terrified of scissors! They were frightened of the clippers at first but eventually tolerated them quite well. Start by simply running the clippers near them prior to attempting to cut their hair. This is pure speculation on my part, but they actually seemed to grow to enjoy the buzz and feel of the clippers.

Insofar as noise and brand of clippers, I don't have much input. I bought a grooming set at Costco for around $30 that included large clippers, small clippers, various "guide" sizes, scissors, clipper oil, etc. (a guide is the comb device that fits over the cutting blades) I eventually settled on a (broken link removed) or (broken link removed) size guide to achieve the desired length. The set was good for my purposes because the small clippers were perfect for belly, bum, and around the neck and legs. The larger set works well for top/back of the cavy. If the set does not have the desired guide size, you can buy them separately at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Why not talk with the groomers at Petco or PetSmart and solicit their recommendations for type/brand of clippers?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I don't have a peruvian, but like above, I have 2 texel girls with long curly coats.

You're correct that using scissors can be tricky. My one girl hates the sound of them and will buck all over the place, while the other one sits perfectly still for grooming.

I do the bulk of my trims with electric clippers. I have a cheap Wahl grooming set. I'll put a link at the bottom so you can see what I use. They aren't overly loud and work well. I keep them trimmed very short on their lower bellies and back legs. I let the rest of their coat get long and curly, then when it becomes crazy I cut them down pretty short with a 1 inch guard.

I find that the noise of the clippers has never really bothered them, it's the motion of the clippers combing through their hair that they don't like.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B004F...X236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hair+clippers

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
So we have had similar experiences, Sally? I didn't know that you have Texels? They are gorgeous, lovely creatures, but my Maya was "dumb as a stump" in comparison to her Abby partner. Most Abbys are smart, athletic, and quite vocal. Chester would attempt to have a conversation with Maya and couldn't understand why she had nothing to contribute. lol

Here is a link to the set that I purchased from Costco:

(broken link removed)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I would agree we have pretty similar experiences. And yes, I have 2 of the little furry monsters. Stella the Himalayan is a more recent addition. She's a retired breeding sow who I got just after Christmas, but I have had Alice for nearly 2 years!

IMG_0631.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Your girls are adorable!

Interesting! Maya was a show piggy when I adopted her. She was being retired because she had pea eye which is genetic, so she couldn't be used for breeding. It also would have disqualified her from being shown.

The below pics are when we first adopted her with her full show coat. I subsequently kept her coat cut short because hygiene was an issue. She looked adorable with the short hair. I kept the hair on her head a bit longer and she looked like a little lion.

Maya - Pre HC side.jpg Maya - Pre HC face - Copy.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.