Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Older boars and younger boars?

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
There's really nothing stranger than life, and I seem to end up with a lot of wayward critters lol. Long story short, there was an "intervention" of sorts in my neighborhood. Person loved guinea pigs before the dragon of addiction took them, and unfortunately stopped caring who was in which cage. :weepy: I received three young boars, 1 from one litter and 2 from a different litter, and I'm caring for two of them now. I took them to the vet, but sadly a lethal white baby couldn't be saved despite our very best efforts, which is why I'm down to two little babies. Each baby that I have left is from a different litter. Unfortunately, the mom is deceased (from the symptoms he described, sounds like either pyometra and/ or a placental site infection) and he gave away the father. The guy is in treatment right now, thank god.

I also have two singleton adult boars, ages 2.5 and 5. I was wondering if, once the quarantine period is over and I'm sure everyone's healthy, what other folk's experience is bonding two pigs with big age differences? I've only ever bonded similarly-aged pigs before. I tried bonding my current boars for over 6 months before I gave up (long introductions, buddy baths, sterilizing everything in the cage, etc.), but they are both 100% alpha pigs, which is why I'm wondering if I should try bonding these little ones to my older ones once they're old enough and we're sure they're healthy?

Thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for taking these little boys in. But in a word, no.

A trio of boars just doesn't work. I even tried it myself in a similar situation as yours, to no avail. When I lost Pooper in Oct of 2016, I knew Sly, who was 5 at the time, couldn't just be left alone.

So I adopted a pair of baby boys, from the same litter. Brothers from the start. They were 3 weeks old when they came home with me, and Sly was a proud big papa pig. For about 5 months, until Punkin hit puberty.

Sly is old and suffers from osseous metaplasia and malocclusion issues, and Punkin pretty much beat the crap out of him. I separated, but Sly can still see, smell talk to and play with, to an extent, the young fellas.

But three just doesn't work.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm sorry, I should have clarified! I meant bonding one younger to and older, then the other younger pig to the other older, so I'd have two pairs. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try a boar trio lol

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I also want to mention that it looks like the lethal white baby had microcephaly and back limb ataxia. Poor thing. :'(

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Poor little fella. Probably merciful that he didn't make it, but it's still sad.

I see no reason why younger boars couldn't be with older ones. Sly was amazing with both babies, right up until they hit puberty. And Sly wasn't the problem, one of the young boys was. You WILL almost certainly go through those issues once the little guys reach puberty. They will likely challenge your older boars, so you need to be ready to deal with those issues when they arise.

You said you tend to end up with a lot of wayward critters. That tells me you have a big heart when it comes to animals. That also tells me that you'll do your very best with these two, come what may. I wish you all the luck, and that your pairs of boys end up very happy together.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I'll post pics of the little ones when I can. :)

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
20180306_165821.jpg

20180306_165321.jpg

20180306_164835.jpg

I'm waiting to name them until their personalities emerge. They're still so scared, poor things. :( It'll probably take a while for them to get used to caring humans, but I've got all of the time in the world if they need it.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Hello again! I was just wondering how old/ big the babies should be before I try and introduce them to my older boars? Obviously I'm going to wait until the quarantine period is over, but after that? I've got a big boy who's definitely a humper lol. What do y'all think? I want to make sure everyone stays safe and I haven't really had such tiny little spuds before.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.