Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Dosage Help? Sulfamethoxazole

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
So the label of the bottle says to give 0.6 mL twice a day. However, the spot the vet marked on the syringe for where the medication should be drawn up to, is at 1.6 mL. How much is actually the right amount to give to Bitters? She weighs 912 grams. I know the suspension of the SMZ matters just as much, but the only indicator I can find on the bottle is "Suspension/ml/#14 ml" and I'm not really sure what that means. It also says "Lot 092465."

The exotics vet who prescribed the medication is now closed. I tried calling another veterinarian and they had no idea. Anyone here know if there's a way I can figure out which dosage is right, or do I have to wait until the prescribing veterinarian is open again?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
It's probably the 0.6 mL twice daily that you're supposed to use. Tribble was about the same size when he had a UTI in January and that's about what he got. I'm assuming that it's SMZ-TMP 240 mg/5 mL suspension?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do the .6 ml twice a day, and call the vet when he's open again.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.