Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea older boar having stool issues

• Thread starter LittleSqueakers
  • Start date

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Great to hear Tribble is on the mend! Do keep us updated with his progress!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
So, Tribble's still having this issue that he's had all week where his stools seem to come in periods of passing good amounts (usually during the night) interspersed with long hours (like 8 hrs!) of passing no stool (usually throughout the day). He seems to be feeling fine, he doesn't seem distressed during the long periods in-between stool passage, he moves around normally, and his belly remains soft. Although it's unsettling for me, it doesn't seem to bother him, and it's more-or-less been the pattern all week

Could this just be part of the gut being messed up and it's just going to take some time to get things settled? Could it be related to physical activity? He always seems to pass more in the hours following his evening exercise...

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I can get Tribble to eat hay pretty well at this point just by putting him on my lap or on his pillow. He's not eating pellets at this time, but I have seen him peck at them a few times today, so I think he's maybe about to start eating them again. He's also eating green leaf lettuce and green bell pepper. I've been weaning him off of supplemental fluids and he's starting to drink on his own again as well.

My question is how to wean him off Critical Care at this point? I've been feeding small amounts (10 cc) 4x/day the past 2 days. I was feeding more (15-20cc, 5x/day) earlier in the week, but he seemed so satiated that he wasn't as interested in eating hay.

How do I ease him back into his regular diet? Do I need to decrease the amount of CC in each feeding or keep the amount the same and decrease the number of feedings or what? His passing of stools is still very irregular... I'm hoping maybe getting him back on his normal diet may help with that?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd keep the same number of feedings and just give a little less each time.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Only one problem with feedings: I've been on spring break this past week and I'm about to have to go back to school on Monday. I don't really have anyone who I could ask to come over and feed him during the day. He's eating hay on his own, but he really eats more when I coax him.

Do you think he'll be okay to go 10-11 hours on his own while I'm at school this coming week?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.