Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Playing with Water Bottles

HornedHare23

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I do have a question that I would love some feed back on.

My Guinea Pig Dandy LOVES his water bottle...he sits and plays with the ball all day just draing the water bottle every time, I've tried different bottles, I've even tried bowls but he ends up spilling it or pooping in it...I have resorted to filling it 2-3 times a day and putting it in a plastic bin with towels but that has to be changed daily....and Ideas of things I can try to maybe stop it?

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I do have a question that I would love some feed back on.

My Guinea Pig Dandy LOVES his water bottle...he sits and plays with the ball all day just draing the water bottle every time, I've tried different bottles, I've even tried bowls but he ends up spilling it or pooping in it...I have resorted to filling it 2-3 times a day and putting it in a plastic bin with towels but that has to be changed daily....and Ideas of things I can try to maybe stop it?
What a halarious problem! LOL this made my day. Have you tried getting two water bottles one for drinking and one for playing with maybe that would work?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

HornedHare23

Cavy Gazer
I could try that, never even thought of that! Hopefully it doesnt result in x2 the water lol he's a goofy pig

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
I could try that, never even thought of that! Hopefully it doesnt result in x2 the water lol he's a goofy pig
What if one water bottle was empty?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does he have a buddy? Sounds like he's bored.

Cheestachio

Cavy Slave
What my boys do all the time is play with their food bowls, or their houses. I feel like they know what isnt a toy and want to annoy me. They will throw around the dishes and walk around in the house like a cat stuck in a box. Ive resorted to ziptying the houses to the side of the cage and removing the dish once they are done with the food. If they are bored, you need to find something else he can play with. A new colourful wood toy will occupy my boys until they break it (which is quickly). Also if your pig doesnt have a friend, which is strongly recommended, you need to spend lots of time with it. He could just be asking for attention!

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I use big wood toys that you attach to the sides that are intended for parrots. My late boar Vegeta would break these wood toys for parrots within a WEEK, if that long! Maybe your piggy will enjoy destroying those things as well?

HornedHare23

Cavy Gazer
I do have a Second Pig Ruban so he's not lonely.

I tried a second bottle he just drains them both and if I keep one empty he just drains the other one.

they have toys, wooden chews and dangling toys. I even put their hay in one of those balls that you can hang up. that keeps him busy for a bit then he just moves on....
Maybe I should go out and get a bigger variety of toys? I've also been looking into adding a loft to their cage maybe that could help...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he drinking it, or just playing? If he's drinking, I'd get him checked by a vet, as excess water consumption can be a sign of diabetes. Weight loss does usually accompany that, though, so if he's maintaining his weight, it's not apt to be diabetes.

HornedHare23

Cavy Gazer
it seems like just playing, I tried a bowl for a few days and he would drink a bit but didn't seem to care much about it like he does with the bottle, but ill watch a little closer and monitor his weight a little better (he don't seem to be loosing but just incase)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.