Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Hooting? Worried about Guinea Pig

• Thread starter RufflesTruffles
  • Start date

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
I?m worried about my guinea pig Ruffles. Hes having issues and after getting him back from the vet, he?s been making some concerning noises. Before we took him- his noises were primarily higher pitched when he was curious or hungry. However, after getting him back- they?ve been deeper and I think once it even sounded like a whimper. He?s made this noise primarily after eating, but sometimes when he?s just sitting around as well. What do y?all think?

In the video, he’s hiding under a fleece flap. That is not his whole cage.
[video=youtube_share;71irezpwp3w]https://youtu.be/71irezpwp3w[/video]

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My boar Sly makes an identical sound. Hooting can mean heart problems, or in Sly's case it means he's got something caught in his airway.

Usually, one good loud HACK clears it, sometimes two.

Is this the case with your boy? Do you hear him cough, or is this a constant sound? If it's constant, I would get him back to a cavy savvy vet.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Is the vet you took him to cavy-savvy? A lot of vets aren't. If you're not sure, we can try to help you find a cavy-savvy vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't worry too much about hooting during or after eating -- it's usually short lived. The time to be concerned is when they're inactive, and the hooting goes on for an extended period of time.

It can indicate heart or respiratory issues that need to be evaluated. But I have one that's been evaluated six ways from Sunday and still hoots a lot. But she doesn't do it all the time, so we've never been able to figure out whether any of the treatments have helped or not.

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
Is the vet you took him to cavy-savvy? A lot of vets aren't. If you're not sure, we can try to help you find a cavy-savvy vet.

I'm honestly not sure. This poor guinea pig has gone through a lot actually. I got him from a pet store for 2 weeks, which I'm disappointed in myself about and "returned him" so that vet prices would be cheaper, which I'm kicking myself for. He had a scab, some type of infection which they tried giving him a ringworm ointment for and then an antibiotic. He was gone for 2.5 weeks and then I immediately got him back, but then he started "hooting". Once he came back, I wanted to get him a friend, but I didn't want to ignore that he could be having issues before getting another one. I will never go to this pet store again, and I am mad at myself for the whole situation. I don't have much money- so I'm trying my best. Anyway, I then took him to the vet recently and they were concerned since it just started happening, but they were also concerned about the fungal infection. I'm having the fungal infection checked again to make sure it is gone for sure, and the respiratory check was too much for me personally. The vet did a physical exam and said that he seemed fine, but she could do an upper respiratory infection check, which again I couldn't afford. However, I did get the respiratory infection medicine that I'm currently giving him. I'm considering going to another vet, so if you could help find a proper one, I would be more than willing to figure this out.

Aside from this, he seems happy the rest of the time. He'll popcorn every time I switch his cage around a little just because he's excited and he even sprinted around for the first time the other night.

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
Hi, this helps a little bit. He's usually hooting after eating, but a few times it's concerning because he'll be sitting in his cage and just hooting randomly. I don't think it was immediately after eating but a little while after. I just want to make sure he's okay before getting him a friend. He's already gone through a lot, and I want to make him happy.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I'm considering going to another vet, so if you could help find a proper one, I would be more than willing to figure this out.

Of course. Try not to be too upset with yourself; you're doing the right thing now. To help locate a cavy-savvy vet near you, can I have your city and state?

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
Of course. Try not to be too upset with yourself; you're doing the right thing now. To help locate a cavy-savvy vet near you, can I have your city and state?

I'm in College Station, TX. I'm near Houston and Austin.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Wowzers, there are a lot of vets to sort through near you! Which vet did you go to after you picked your piggy back up?

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
I went to the All Pets Hospital

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm in College Station, TX. I'm near Houston and Austin.

One of our admins, [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], is in your area. I know she can give you a good recommendation on who to take your pigs to.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
All Pets actually looks good! Although if bpatters says something different definitely take her word for it. :)

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
I don't worry too much about hooting during or after eating -- it's usually short lived. The time to be concerned is when they're inactive, and the hooting goes on for an extended period of time.

It can indicate heart or respiratory issues that need to be evaluated. But I have one that's been evaluated six ways from Sunday and still hoots a lot. But she doesn't do it all the time, so we've never been able to figure out whether any of the treatments have helped or not.

Sorry, I'm not sure if you saw my response:

Hi, this helps a little bit. He's usually hooting after eating, but a few times it's concerning because he'll be sitting in his cage and just hooting randomly. I don't think it was immediately after eating but a little while after. I just want to make sure he's okay before getting him a friend. He's already gone through a lot, and I want to make him happy. I've taken him to All Pets and I put my story on the thread as well if this changes anything.
Hi, this helps a little bit. He's usually hooting after eating, but a few times it's concerning because he'll be sitting in his cage and just hooting randomly. I don't think it was immediately after eating but a little while after. I just want to make sure he's okay before getting him a friend. He's already gone through a lot, and I want to make him happy.

RufflesTruffles

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much! I appreciate any help that I can get. :)

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Absolutely! And it's a very good idea to make sure your little one is perfectly healthy before trying to introduce another pig. If it's contagious, the other piggy could catch it as well. You're doing the right thing by reaching out for help and wanting your piggy to be happy after all he's been through. :) Keep up the good work!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.