Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie here

Nadja

Cavy Slave
Hello.

My name is Nadja. Sadly, I'm not currently a pigle owner. We had a lovely rescue pigle named Guinea. She was returned twice to the pet store that sold her before we agreed to take her in as a single pet (she was very aggressive with other pigs; she was definitely an alpha sow). Unfortunately, Guinea had an accident she did not recover from and we lost her last week. We're heartbroken and devastated.

I've decided to join the forum because staying connected to the cavy community seems to help me grieve.

My daughter, who is 7 and lost her best mate, asked if we could help another pigle down the road and it has been decided that we will adopt again. We're going on a major vacation this summer (graduation gift for my oldest), but the second we're back home we're unrolling that fleece and dusting off the grids. We'd like to take in a bonded pair next time. Guinea was an American/English. At a recent cavy expo I fell in love with Peruvians, but I don't think I'm ready for that grooming commitment. Truth is, the breed won't matter.

Even after Guinea, we're not entirely without animals. And everyone is getting extra love right now. There is still the dog (who loved licking the guinea) and the two cats (who love that fresh hay as much as the pigle) and the rabbit (a lovely Thrianta buck) and the fish (who couldn't care less).

Thanks for listening :)

Nadja

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost your pig. But I'd like to suggest that the next time, you find a pig at a rescue or shelter. You'll be giving an unwanted pig a home without participating in the breeding cycle of pet store pigs.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Guinea pigs leave big paw prints on our hearts.

I'd second what bpatters said. If you'd like to give us your general location, we'll be more than happy to try and locate a rescue that's close to you. :)

Nadja

Cavy Slave
Oh, yes, please. I'm all for shelters. All our animals came from shelters. The guinea was on her way to a shelter, it was only that I overheard the store owner talk about her and I offered on the spot to take her.

We live in the Augusta area, Georgia. If there are any rescues nearby, that would be awesome (I wouldn't mind driving for a bit; an hour or so maybe). I know there was a pretty active rescue in the Atlanta area, but they closed or are in the process of closing.

Nadja

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the community, [MENTION=41645]Nadja[/MENTION].

I am deeply sorry for your loss. FailedFoster is right, they leave tremendous paw prints on our hearts. Losing them, at least for me, is no different than losing a family member.

Absolutely, when you're ready to have a pair of piggies again, do it. We'll be here before you do, and we'll all be here when you have them, too.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Hi Nadja! I found a few potential options for you. It looks like the Columbia County Animal Services has two adorable boars, named Ace and Casey, available. I would also touch base with Southern Souls Rescue. They state that they take in small 'n' furries, but I can't find a list of adoptable animals from them. It looks like they're still open, they're just not updating PetFinder or their website with adoptable animals.

Good luck!

Nadja

Cavy Slave
Hi Nadja! I found a few potential options for you. It looks like the Columbia County Animal Services has two adorable boars, named Ace and Casey, available. I would also touch base with Southern Souls Rescue. They state that they take in small 'n' furries, but I can't find a list of adoptable animals from them. It looks like they're still open, they're just not updating PetFinder or their website with adoptable animals.

Good luck!

Oh, wow. I drove by the Columbia County animal shelter like two weeks ago. I guess the pigs came in after I was there. I might hop in the car and have a look at them. I wasn't really in the market just yet, but ...

And I will get in touch with Southern Souls Rescue. I had not heard of them and hadn't seen anything by them.

Thank you so much.

Nadja

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Sure thing! Let us know how it goes. :)

Nadja

Cavy Slave
oreo.jpgcapy.jpg

I went to have a look at these two yesterday. They were calm and quiet when I handled them. Neither did anything to make me think they are hand-shy. The black-and-white has horribly overgrown nails, but that's an easy fix. They seemed very big. I don't know much about younger pigs - ours was already two when we got her. These boars are only one year old. Is that fully grown?

I have not decided yet whether they will join our family. We're discussing things and in the case of my daughter, begging.

THANK YOU, FailedFoster, for bringing the boys to my attention.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One year old is pretty much full grown. They may grow a little more, but likely not much. Boars are physically bigger than sows, which probably accounts for the size difference.

They look so sweet, these two. The black and white ones face almost has a look on it like he desperately wants you to take him home! (broken link removed)

And the brown one? Save for the absence of osseous metaplasia, looks VERY much like my boy Sly.

I hope everything works out for you.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
They seemed very big. I don't know much about younger pigs - ours was already two when we got her. These boars are only one year old. Is that fully grown?

Most cavies are fully grown about one year old. Abyssinians are said to mature later possibly around 15 mos. That has been my experience as well. But, since these boys aren't Abbys, that doesn't apply in this case. Are they a bonded pair?

A cavy-savvy vet can often pretty accurately calculate the age of a cavy based on various growth markers. If you DO decide to adopt the boys, then you may wish to have them checked out and ask the vet at that time.

Hmmm........how can you resist those faces!

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Of course! Happy to help. :)

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Those piggies are so cute! I can see why your daughter is begging! :)

Nadja

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to let you know that I picked up those beautiful boys yesterday. They already seem happy with their new space, although they are only in the small "nesting" cage right now. (We have two cages: a smaller that we call The Nest and a large 2x5 CC that we call the playpen)

I am so glad I rescued them. They seem a bit chubby and their nails were so overgrown it looked awkward to walk on. I am so happy they held still and allowed me to clip their nails.

THANK YOU for bringing them to my attention.

Nadja

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you've saved a couple of little lives who desperately needed you and your daughter.

Congratulations on your new additions!

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I'm so happy you could rescue them and I'm so happy you found my results helpful! It sounds like they're going to have a fantastic home!

Nadja

Cavy Slave
I won't lie; it wasn't an easy decision. We're still grieving the loss of our first/original guinea. But these guys just needed someone. Now if only they ate some veggies ...

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I won't lie; it wasn't an easy decision. We're still grieving the loss of our first/original guinea. But these guys just needed someone. Now if only they ate some veggies ...

A year and a half later, I'm still grieving losing my original pig, as well. I brought home two baby boys because Sly couldn't be alone, and his well being had to be my first priority. Sadly, my boar trio didn't work out (they never do) but he still has company, and he likes the arrangement just the way it is.

They will learn to eat their veggies. Give them time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.