Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Chattering at me?

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I recently got Wiggly a new companion after Piggly passed away a couple of months ago. I did the introductions Sunday and since then, Wiggly has been chattering at me when I get near the cage or open the lid. She's always chattered a little bit when I go to pick her up. She's never bitten me, but she hates being picked up and it is a struggle. She loves snuggles.

Any idea why she's started chattering at me as soon as I get near? Is she mad I got her a new companion, mad I gave them a buddy bath, or just being a grump?

I don't like feeling like my pig is mad at me. :-( I think she likes Wanda (her new friend) well enough, but Wanda doesn't seem to be a fan of me... she's going to take some time adjusting to being handled.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Things have changed since Piggly passed away, and her attitude likely has too. I wouldn't worry about it.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I think she’s trying to assert dominance. Wanda, the new pig, seems to make happy noises while wiggly is chattering. I did try to pick wiggly up and she gave me a quick bite on the finger (no blood or anything). I guess she really is mad with me. I have been eager to handle Wanda to get her used to me, and of course I wanna give wiggly attention as well but maybe I need to give them some time.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're both still very new to each other, and it'll take time for them to sort everything out. In the meantime, even though Wiggly knows you, you're kind of an interloper again as they sort out the pecking order.

You've got lots of time. It's ok to handle Wanda, it's the only way she'll get used to you. Wiggly smelling your scent on Wanda may also help the process.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I have never introduced pigs before, so forgive the ignorance--is it best to take both pigs out for cuddles at once or separately? I'm hesitant to take Wiggly out again until she sorts out her attitude since I don't want her to bite me again. I know I should have left her alone when she was clearly telling me she was unhappy. I think picking Wanda up stresses Wiggly out because Wanda lets out a squeal like I am murdering her when I catch her. I have been taking them out together since having Wanda out solo once made Wiggly chatter and kick up lots of fuss when I returned Wanda to the cage.

They are eating veggies together now (I put two piles in the cage but I just saw Wanda steal from Wiggly's pile and WW3 didn't erupt). I really think they'll sort it out eventually. I travel a lot for work (I have a great roommate who helps with feeding daily vegetables, cuddles, etc.) so I really wanted Wiggly to have a companion for the times when I am gone.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
For taking pigs out for cuddles, you can go either way. I usually have their together time out of their cage be floor time and then I cuddle them separately because they want to be in the same spot on my lap and then they whine that the other one is there first lol. They're both a little bratty haha.

I've had piggies like Wanda and Wiggly. It definitely takes time, but she can get better about being picked up! I would start by putting your hand in her cage and not moving it towards her. She may have a freeze response to this, which is normal. Let her come over and smell your hand she wants to. Bribe her with veggies. Then, slowly work your way up to gently petting the top of her head with one finger and rewarding with a veggie treat. I used to have a pair of boars that were similar to Wiggly and Wanda, but they're now super tame. My piggy who was like Wanda got so used to me that he would let me check out his incisors and stand perfectly still (while giving me piggy stink eye of course lol). My piggy who was like Wiggly used to chatter and nip, but is now sweet as can be. It took months and months, though it was completely worth it!

You clearly care about your pigs, which is the biggest component here. Some behavioral changes after losing a cagemate and gaining a new piggy to figure out dominance with might be spilling over into your relationship with Wiggly, but that can be fixed with exposure, patience, and time. I'm sure you and they will do great. :)

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I'm still getting Wanda on board with eating veggies. I put some at the end of the cage where she is at, but she didn't seem too interested. They disappeared so one of the two ate them!

I can't seem to get near the cage without Wanda running to the dark corner. It's a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft and my pigs have always loved getting under the loft in the part of the cage that's hard to reach. If I stick my hand in, Wiggly starts chattering. Even if I hold out a treat (she'll usually come grab one and haul booty towards the dark corner) she still chatters.

Sighs. I'm trying.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
Tomorrow will be a week since they've been introduced. Wiggly is still chattering at me, but not as much. Lately I have noticed a lot of chasing--they seem to be constantly running around the cage. Wiggly was not an active pig before (I'd often find her laying in a pile of hay, not running zoomies around the cage) so I'm thinking they are still figuring out who is boss. No fights, but I can tell the status quo hasn't been sorted. I guess my question is--when will the rumbling, teeth chattering (more at me than each other) and chasing stop? Will it ever stop? I guess I am worried since it has been almost a week and they don't seem to have figured out the pecking order. Is this normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's worse today, one may be in heat.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
If it's worse today, one may be in heat.
Didn’t think about that. Not sure if it is worse or if I am just noticing it more since today is Saturday and I have been home more instead of working. I am taking a trip tomorrow for most of the week (roomie is pig sitting) but makes me nervous to leave them! She takes good care of my pets while I am gone though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.