Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Using hay bags

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
I bought two hay bags off of Etsy, the fabric kind with the two holes in the front. The pigs seem to be doing okay with them and it's a whole lot neater but I am concerned with how they are getting their little teeth into the hay. How do they get it out through those little holes? Are they going to be able to eat enough hay that way? They were advertised for guinea pigs but the holes seem small.
e3a40320e2ad895f3825f3f3573ac1af.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a useless hay bag. Obviously it was made by someone who never tried to feed a guinea pig hay with it.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
I don't know how big the bag is but you might want to try just cutting around those grommets and removing them to make the holes bigger. Also if I remember correctly, I saw a picture on this site with a piggy's head stuck in one of those grommets.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
That's a useless hay bag. Obviously it was made by someone who never tried to feed a guinea pig hay with it.
What do you look for in a good hay bag?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Holes big enough for the pig to get to the hay, but not so large that they can get their heads stuck or get into the bag.

But then, I just pile the hay in the cage.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I agree with bpatters. I usually put their hay on top of something already in the cage besides a hay bag. And grommets are dangerous for piggies.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Holes big enough for the pig to get to the hay, but not so large that they can get their heads stuck or get into the bag.

But then, I just pile the hay in the cage.
I tried pulling the hay in the cage, but my guinea pigs were not used to it and it was a bother to clean out so I went back to the hay rack. I am considering this hay bag: https://www.guineapigmarket.com/heavenly-hay-bag planning to buy it alongside with the bigger loft upgrade for my little ones :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pile it up in the corner. It's wasteful, yes. Who cares? They'll love eating it and playing in it, and yes even sleeping in it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's what the pigs like vs what's more convenient for me. I'll opt for piggy happiness, every time.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I used a hag bag once for about two weeks. I gave up. It's more fun watching them play in it. I usually buy 50lb bales of hay and they are pretty cheap from tractor supply. I always peek to make sure it isn't too brown.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
She actually has guinea pigs who eat out of it, but I showed her your message and she's making me one without grommets and with larger holes.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
I don't know how big the bag is but you might want to try just cutting around those grommets and removing them to make the holes bigger. Also if I remember correctly, I saw a picture on this site with a piggy's head stuck in one of those grommets.
Can't believe I didn't think of that! That's what I did and they are getting the hay out fine. I've been watching them and there is no way their heads can get stuck in the holes with or without the grommets. That must be a problem for baby pigs.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
Pile it up in the corner. It's wasteful, yes. Who cares? They'll love eating it and playing in it, and yes even sleeping in it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's what the pigs like vs what's more convenient for me. I'll opt for piggy happiness, every time.
Are pigs really happy sleeping in their own pee and poop? Or lying in it? Somewhere I read that they are clean animals which is why I like to keep the hay up for the most part. I will put out a thin layer for them to walk-in but I clean it up every day. I give them second cut hay which is really expensive here because I can't get it from a farm. So that's another consideration. I can't afford to keep it piled up unless I don't clean it out and I just have trouble believing they are happy eating out of a pile of hay with a couple of days worth of their waste mixed in.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
I used a hag bag once for about two weeks. I gave up. It's more fun watching them play in it. I usually buy 50lb bales of hay and they are pretty cheap from tractor supply. I always peek to make sure it isn't too brown.
I wish we could do that around here. Do you get second cut hay there?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Are pigs really happy sleeping in their own pee and poop? Or lying in it?

Are they happy doing it? Maybe Do they mind? Not in the least!

My Sparky Loves, Loves, Loves sleeping in the hay in the litter box! Would we prefer that he didn't sleep there? Absolutely. Despite changing or tidying the litter box 2-3x a day, he still has a perpetually dirty belly and bum.

The fact that he loves it SO much makes it easier to tolerate. He is the happiest little soul around and having to give him an occasional belly/butt bath is a small price to pay. I'll settle for happy over scrupulously clean any day! lol

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
I wish we could do that around here. Do you get second cut hay there?

I'm not familiar with second cut hay... what does that mean?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A hay field can have several cuttings in a year, depending on how far north or south it is. First cut hay is the first cutting of the year, second cut is the second, etc. The hay gets softer and less "stemmy" with each successive cutting.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave

My Sparky Loves, Loves, Loves sleeping in the hay in the litter box! Would we prefer that he didn't sleep there? Absolutely. Despite changing or tidying the litter box 2-3x a day, he still has a perpetually dirty belly and bum.

The fact that he loves it SO much makes it easier to tolerate. He is the happiest little soul around and having to give him an occasional belly/butt bath is a small price to pay. I'll settle for happy over scrupulously clean any day! lol
My guys choose their clean beds, which I have several of in their pen, over the litter pans full of Orchard Grass or the pile of hay in front of their hay bags. Maybe it's an individual piggy choice. I guess the important thing is observing whether they are happy and if they aren't, remedying the situation.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave

My guinea pigs don't seem to enjoy playing in hay like other GPs so there is no advantage for me to pile it

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.