Thread: Bedding

Bedding

Hi all, I'm new here. I recently adopted 2 piggies, Peanut and Rocky, both male. I want to do away with the wood shavings and switch to fleece but was wondering if anyone might know what I'd used to make reusable potty pads? Thank you in advance. Here's some pics of my [emoji203]'s

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave

Re: Bedding

I use old towels under the fleece. This way I don't have to worry about destroying them and it gives me a reason to get nice new ones .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by C.cons5 View Post
    I use old towels under the fleece.
    It may be an inexpensive way to go, but most of us don't recommend using towels in the cage because they will begin to smell quickly. It is recommended to use uHaul padding as a middle layer in fleece liners OR in potty pads. I sometimes also use thicker batting in the pads since they are changed more often than the liners.

Quote Originally Posted by C.cons5 View Post
    I use old towels under the fleece. This way I don't have to worry about destroying them and it gives me a reason to get nice new ones .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Lol. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    It may be an inexpensive way to go, but most of us don't recommend using towels in the cage because they will begin to smell quickly. It is recommended to use uHaul padding as a middle layer in fleece liners OR in potty pads. I sometimes also use thicker batting in the pads since they are changed more often than the liners.
    How often do you think this will break down? That I'd need to replace? Its OK if you don't know that, just curious. Thank you for your reply already.

If you cover the U-Haul padding on both sides with fleece and stitch across it several times, it will last much longer than if the fleece is only on one side.

Towels are also a problem because they can ravel and cause an intestinal obstruction. Better to use something the pigs can't or won't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea_Pig2 View Post
    How often do you think this will break down? That I'd need to replace?
    No matter whether you use uHaul padding or batting as the middle layer, they both need to be encased in fleece. I have some pads and liners that are seven years old, but I can tell that the uHaul pad is worn out in the liners because it has ceased absorbing the urine. How long they will last depends on the frequency of use, and whether or not you use bleach in the wash.

Like @bpatters, I used to think that fleece is indestructible until I began using bleach every wash. It has managed to reduce my liners to tatters! I don't recommend using bleach except every 3-4 washings. The rest of the time I add either Borax or OxyClean to the wash. I have a rinse-and-spin cycle on my washer, so after the regular wash is finished, I pour copious amounts of white vinegar on the items and run it through another short rinse-and-spin. Works wonders for residual odors.

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    If you cover the U-Haul padding on both sides with fleece and stitch across it several times, it will last much longer than if the fleece is only on one side.

Towels are also a problem because they can ravel and cause an intestinal obstruction. Better to use something the pigs can't or won't eat.
    Perfect, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    No matter whether you use uHaul padding or batting as the middle layer, they both need to be encased in fleece. I have some pads and liners that are seven years old, but I can tell that the uHaul pad is worn out in the liners because it has ceased absorbing the urine. How long they will last depends on the frequency of use, and whether or not you use bleach in the wash.

Like @bpatters, I used to think that fleece is indestructible until I began using bleach every wash. It has managed to reduce my liners to tatters! I don't recommend using bleach except every 3-4 washings. The rest of the time I add either Borax or OxyClean to the wash. I have a rinse-and-spin cycle on my washer, so after the regular wash is finished, I pour copious amounts of white vinegar on the items and run it through another short rinse-and-spin. Works wonders for residual odors.
    Lol. Fantastic, thank you, kindly

We must be getting fleece in different places, [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]. My fleece gets bleach every wash. Lots of it.