Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Can pigs be introduced in their future cage?

Malice

Cavy Slave
Few more details: if possible, I'd like to do an introduction in the cage before its all made up with fleece, with all its proper toys and food and hay, administer it, and if it goes well take them out and prepare the cage with fleece and new toys and stuff. In a cage neither guinea pig has been in or seen before.

Is this at all possible or does it have to be in a truly neutral territory?

lissie

Cavy Slave
The new cage can be neutral enough. How big is the new cage. I would not do intro in an area smaller than a 2x6 grids. They need space to be able to get away while doing intros.

Malice

Cavy Slave
The new cage can be neutral enough. How big is the new cage. I would not do intro in an area smaller than a 2x6 grids. They need space to be able to get away while doing intros.
15 sq ft

Edit: I forgot I extended it a bit. Now its about 24 sq ft.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you do introduce them in the cage, I wouldn't take them out while you set it up. Just shoo them around and put the stuff in there.

Malice

Cavy Slave
If you do introduce them in the cage, I wouldn't take them out while you set it up. Just shoo them around and put the stuff in there.
That's an interesting idea, is it because taking them out might make them confused and possibly start arguing/showing dominance?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You just don't want to interfere in the introduction process any more than necessary. Anything can set them off as far as dominance struggles are concerned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.