Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine How far should I keep a rabbit away?

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I have two adorable male guinea pigs - one is in a 2x4 C&C and the other one is in a 2x5 C&C. Both cages are about 3-4 feet off the ground.

I'm considering adding a rescue rabbit to my household. I own my own home, so landlords won't be an issue. I know that guinea pigs and rabbits shouldn't be housed together, but I was wondering: how far away should I keep the rabbit from the guinea pigs? The biggest reason I'm asking is because of bordetella bronchiseptica, a germ that rabbits carry that is the leading cause of URI's in guinea pigs. I would of course NEVER allow them to interact, but I was thinking of having the rabbit's main enclosure in the same room as the GP's. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bordetella bronchiseptica has been shown to be airborne, and has been proven to be transmittable in short distances like a room or a barn, so I would think it would not be a good idea.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I have a third bedroom I should be able to keep the bun in, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, just so I can do research myself before taking up space on the forum, can you tell me where you found the info about it being transmittable in short distances? I like to try to research before asking, so I'm always gathering new resources! :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just googled bordetella bronchiseptica airborne, and read through the results. I remember reading others saying it was a bad idea, so I looked into why.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Ah gotcha! An elegant solution. :) Thank you very much for responding to my posts! I referred a new piggy parent here recently, so it's good to see that there are plenty of active, knowledgeable folks on here. :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I found this place by accident several years ago looking for C and C cages. Didn't actually join until a couple years later, but I can honestly say this forum has saved my pigs life.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
Wow that's amazing! Just from looking over the posts, it looks like others have had their pigs' lives saved from this website as well! This is such a useful resource.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's why I stay, to pass on what I've learned. And of course, to learn more.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And thank you for doing that, [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]. Reasonable, knowledgeable voices are worth their weight in gold!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And thank you for doing that, @Guinea Pig Papa. Reasonable, knowledgeable voices are worth their weight in gold!

Quite a lot of what I've learned, I've learned from you. Between you and [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION], you both have been the biggest voices out there when I've needed help. So thank YOU.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.