Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Giving a cage more sq ft?

chritsma

Cavy Slave
I recently got another guinea pig, and I'd like to build another cage and add more square feet. The cage I have currently sits on a bureau in my room which gives my cage for one guinea pig about 8 sq ft (it's a 4x2 cage), which there is one currently living in it.
I am going through the quarantine process, keeping the newest piggy in a temporary cage to get him used to me before I introduce them, and just to be sure that he won't get my piggy sick.
During this time, I'd like to make a new cage with about 16-18 sq ft, but I'm not sure if I have the room to do so, as my room itself is small and the bureau is the only spot I have for a cage (my mother also won't allow me to remove the bureau from my room, and I keep his supplies in the drawers).
I was wondering if adding another floor or two to the cage, and expanding the first about six inches (making the first floor 4x2.5) would give the piggies more room to roam around, and give the cage more sq ft or not. I've seen some cages with more than two floors before, but I don't know if it would actually give the piggies more room or not (by that, I mean sq ft). I don't want to overcrowd the cage, as I'd like to add another to their herd in the future. :weepy::weepy:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Loft areas and extra levels don't add square footage to a cage, per se. Piggies need large, flat spaces to run around in, and the more they have the more they'll run around.

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I second Guinea Pig Papa. If you can do a larger flat space to run around on, that would be better.

LaurieM

Cavy Slave
Actually, I have a "roomie zoomie" from guinea pig cages. With two ramp, my piggy who likes to run zooms around the loop. It's a great way to give them a running space without taking up space in the room.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.