Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Questions About Your Piggies

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
Question: So I just got a guinea pig yesterday, at the pet store and I did not know that you can rescue guinea pigs at the shelter. The nearest one has only dogs and cats, I think. I have just now relized the harm pet stores have been doing to the animals, so what can I do to help my guinea pig feel happy and comfortable? And how do I not make that mistake again? Priscilla, my piggy is solo, and I am thinking of getting her a buddy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
How many days are recommended for the quarantine period? And how do I clean her cage while she is still adjusting? If I am going to get another guinea pig (when its affordable), what temporary cage would you recommend for the introducing quarantine?

Last edited:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
21 days is a standard quarantine period. This is the amount of time that it would take any dormant illness to show up if it was present. This also means that quarantine must be in two separate rooms and behind closed doors, not just separate cages in the same room.

There is no "introducing quarantine" so I don't know what you mean about a temporary cage for it. As for introductions, there is no "temporary cage" for that either. You would do introductions in an open area, not in the cage they would both eventually be living in. This gives both pigs plenty of room to meet or avoid each other as they need to in order to establish a connection. When the time comes, there is a wonderful info page here on how to do proper introductions. Also remember that introductions should be one and done. There is no "gradual introduction" or "multiple play dates". Each time two pigs are introduced then separated then put together again, they need to start over establishing dominance. It's stressful for them so it needs to be one time for as long as they need it to be.

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
Ok, thank you for the advice.

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
Am I the only newbie on this website? I kind of feel ashamed, because this is my first guinea pig.

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
What if the illness shows up early? Will my guinea pig need medication? How can I get her out of the cage so I can clean it? This is during the quarantine period.

Last edited:

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
I am worried for her, because I can't afford a buddy for her, what should I do? And what store do you rrerecommed for guinea pig pens and hideways?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You take her out of the cage to clean it. Quarantine doesn't mean you can't handle her, it just means she shouldn't be put with another pig until 21 days is over. That's to protect any pig already in the house from getting parasites/infections from a new one, and to save you from vet bills.

GPs really need a buddy. They're much happier and more entertaining if there are at least two of them. If you can't afford another pig, can you afford vet bills for this one? GPs need exotic vets, and they can be expensive and hard to find.

You're not by any means the only newbie here. See these links for information for new GP owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
What if the illness shows up early?
There is no "early". You would put the new pig into quarantine as soon as you bring him/her home. Quarantine will last 21 days. If illness shows up during the 21 days, you take the pig to the vet, get medication and keep the pig in quarantine through that period.

Will my guinea pig need medication?
It depends on what illness the pig has but you are getting ahead of yourself.

How can I get her out of the cage so I can clean it? This is during the quarantine period.
Just like you would any other time.

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
I would recommend you go on YouTube and watch many "skinnypigs1" videos and "little adventures" for EVERYTHING you need to know!:) Guinea pigs NEED friends so if you can't give her a friend you can't keep her as happy as she could be.:(

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
I am saving right now, it won't be long until I get her another friend.The Humane society sells supplies for guinea pigs also?

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
I have been watching videos for guinea pig onwers on youtube for a while now they are very helpful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Supplies are the cheapest thing about a guinea pig. You need several hundred dollars in a vet fund in case your pig needs treatment. The pig depends on you for everything, and medical care is just as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food and housing. If your pig is injured, or has an illness, or needs surgery, it is very unfair to it for you not to be able to take it to the vet because you can't afford it.

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
For what [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said I have a empty gum jar with about $300 in it for emergency animal costs (including my piggies and aquarium) when and if i need to use it *knock on wood* I have the money ready. It makes thing seem cheaper when the time comes to use it!:)

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
That's a good idea! I have been saving money up for her just incase also. I also made a routine to take her to the vet a couple of times a month to stay on top of her health.

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
It won't be long until she gets a buddy, I have been checking humane society websites to see which one sells guinea pigs near me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You absolutely don't need to take her to a vet twice a month. Take her when there's something wrong with her, not otherwise.

PriscillaTheGP

Cavy Gazer
Yea that's what I mean. I watched a video on how to handle your piggy, I tryed it for the first time. First I let her smell my hand so she can get used to my scent but when I put my hand under her belly to lift her up and support her rump, she jumped over my hand and hid in her hideaway. This first time wasn't successful, when I tryed the second time she ran away and hid again. I don't want to do it over and over again because I don't want to feel uncomfortable and scared. What should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Catch her, put her in your lap, drape a light cloth above her, and feed her -- a few bits of fruit, a carrot, an herb, part of her supper veggies. She'll never get used to you if you don't handle her.

They're prey animals. They're absolutely positive that every thing on earth is out to get them, you included. It takes weeks of patience and gentle handling to get them over that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.