Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet I need help with diet plans

Sonica1031

Cavy Gazer
I think my guinea pig died from bloat. I?ve looked at the nutrition guide like a million times. I only fed him green peppers, carrots, romaine leaf and red bell pepper.

There was no warning of bloat from bell pepper, but when I looked it up later it seems that it can cause bloat. On the charts they say you can give it to them almost daily.

I feel horrible, but I still have a guinea pig so I really don?t want her to die. What kind of diet plan should I do? So that I can save Ellie from me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every pig I've ever had has had bell pepper every day of its life. Giving both red and green pepper is a little too much of a good thing, but I doubt that's what killed your pig.

Every day, mine get a small chunk of carrot and tomato, a wheel or two of English cucumber, red or green leaf lettuce, and bell pepper (whatever color I've got on hand). When I've got other stuff, they get radicchio, Belgian endive, corn husks (the inner green ones) and silks, and occasional bits of fruit.

Bloat can be caused by many things -- too little food in the stomach over a period of time, too much of a new gas-inducing food, parasites, etc. Early treatment can save a pig, delayed treatment can kill one. Here's some more information about it: https://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html

Sonica1031

Cavy Gazer
Every pig I've ever had has had bell pepper every day of its life. Giving both red and green pepper is a little too much of a good thing, but I doubt that's what killed your pig.

Every day, mine get a small chunk of carrot and tomato, a wheel or two of English cucumber, red or green leaf lettuce, and bell pepper (whatever color I've got on hand). When I've got other stuff, they get radicchio, Belgian endive, corn husks (the inner green ones) and silks, and occasional bits of fruit.

Bloat can be caused by many things -- too little food in the stomach over a period of time, too much of a new gas-inducing food, parasites, etc. Early treatment can save a pig, delayed treatment can kill one. Here's some more information about it: https://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html

i had questioned if he had bloat, but he was still pooping normally and eating, so I didn?t know if I was just being crazy. Plus he has been to the vet a week ago and got a clean bill of health.

I didn?t give both at once it was only a little at a time. A slice of green pepper and a bit of romaine lettuce, like 1 leaf. Or romaine lettuce and a carrot. Or 2 slices of red bell. They?re babies so they can?t have that much veggies and I wanted most of their diet to be hay.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
My condolences for your loss.

There are many things that can cause gas and bloating issues. Don't beat yourself up, it doesn't sound like your diet would have been the thing that caused it on its own.

If he was coming off of a bad diet before you got him, onto a better one with vegetables then that could have caused it, but the veggies you gave him were the safest ones you could.

The only thing you could do differently if faced with a similar situation in the future with your sow would be to withhold all veggies for at least 48 hours when you first notice a gas issues, and have simethicone (infant simethicone can be purchased at a regular pharmacy) on hand to administer to them to help them pass the gas.

Sonica1031

Cavy Gazer
My condolences for your loss.

There are many things that can cause gas and bloating issues. Don't beat yourself up, it doesn't sound like your diet would have been the thing that caused it on its own.

If he was coming off of a bad diet before you got him, onto a better one with vegetables then that could have caused it, but the veggies you gave him were the safest ones you could.

The only thing you could do differently if faced with a similar situation in the future with your sow would be to withhold all veggies for at least 48 hours when you first notice a gas issues, and have simethicone (infant simethicone can be purchased at a regular pharmacy) on hand to administer to them to help them pass the gas.
i really loved him. It was so hard to have him die after I made sure of everything I was doing. I literally made sure he was not sick. I took him to the vet a week ago and got a clean bill of health.

I wanted him to have a good home. I got him from a pet store, so it is possible it was also just a genetic disorder. I may give up on guineas if my last baby dies. For their sake and mine. I know I shouldn?t leave her alone, but I can?t take another guinea dying on me.

His brother died of an upper respitory infection not long ago. They were both from Petco. They were sick when I got them. I hate Petco so much right now.

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss,
what pellets were you feeding?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.