Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Abyssinian baby guinea with bald spot on forehead(unsure if normal or abnormal)

TaylorJ

Cavy Slave
I just got my baby Abyssinian male Guinea Pig yesterday and noticed the bald spot on his head. The skin isn?t flaky and doesn?t look abnormal in anyway. I?m not sure if this should be something to worry about or if he has an abnormal rosette. He could very well be a mix breed of Abyssinian and something else. Any input would be appreciated. I do have another male Guinea Pig who is around 6 months that I have treated for upper respiratory and a skin issue so I do know what to look for in regards to that (he has a clean bill of health) They are currently in separate cages. Thanks! 6DA0FA8B-6F49-4881-AF34-87379D7E16E5.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't really tell from the picture, but pigs with a crest will have a small bald spot in the middle of the crest. If the spot isn't small and round, or if it has flaky stuff in it, it might be a fungal infection. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for treatment options.

TaylorJ

Cavy Slave
My male I have had for a few months had either ringworm or a fungal skin issue before and got treatment (he has a clean bill of health now) and the bald spot doesn?t show any of the signs. The skin is completely normal looking. Here are more pictures. The darker skin is included in the bald spot. It?s hard to see because of his coloring. There are short hairs that look like they are growing in the bald spot. Not sure if they just haven?t grown in yet since he is young or if it?s something else.

Attachments

3048893F-6B6C-48A1-AE68-079A25379249.jpg D2A354AA-93C4-43E9-BD0A-1A8E57CA2E60.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You have received some good advice. As one who has had Abbys for many years, I think that it just may be the placement of the rosette. They sometimes appear to have a bald spot in the middle......but with no crusting or flaking. I'd keep an eye on it for the time being unless it progresses.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.