Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Balance is off, Some wieght loss, been to the Vet

CoreyZ71

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, I just joined this fourm today, looking for more answers hopefully on me and my fiancees pig condition. His name is piggy 3yrs old, lives in a hand built cage with 2 other males. They are all divided because none of them got along too well. Can still see and interacte with one another, and have plenty of room. Couple months ago piggy got some what of a head tilt and grin to his mouth. Brought him to the vet, she said he may have a stroke or neurological issue. Checked his teeth they were ok but she did grind down some back teeth down alittle bit. After that he still had that funny grin to him but didnt seem to bother him, ate normally. Recently he has gotten worse, been to the vets a hand full of times...he has the bad head tilt and grin still, lost some wieght, and has no feeling in his left eye, the grin side. Also his balance got very bad, he flops over alot ecspecailly if he gets to excited. He was put on meds morning and night, and even dizzy pills. He then got an issue with that left eye with no feeling, looks like he may of scratch it, it was ugly. He was then put on eye meds, and we got over that issue, eye looks good now. Couple more weeks of the meds we went back yesterday to the vet, mainly for the off balance issue, we were told that inside him his cupula like sensorys may be all gunked up. Only a very risky surgery may fix this issue, she said wasnt worth that. Piggy may be able to learn to live with it but will take a very long time to get use to it. Anyway im not sure if its really called cupula but the vet said marble type sensors were off. My fiancee would know more. Sry im all over the place, but feel bad for him. Try to keep it short..issh, he has been gaining weight back, eats fine, always has, never stopped eating threw all this. He just losses his balance alot now. Not constantly on his side but cant keep himself upright for to long. Vets said no ear infection either, from the start of all this. Just wondering if anyone else had issues like this before. Thank you

It sounds like he has a neurological or inner ear problem, neither of which is very treatable in guinea pigs. I'm sorry.

If he were mine, I'd keep him going as long as his quality of life is good.

It sounds like he has a neurological or inner ear problem, neither of which is very treatable in guinea pigs. I'm sorry.

If he were mine, I'd keep him going as long as his quality of life is good.

Yea thats what I was afraid of. He is just as activate as the other and like I said eats just as much as the others. Dosent seem to be hurting at all, hanging in his cage he does ok with the balance. If he wasnt the way he is acting we would do whats right, so I guess we will just let him do his thing for now. Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.