Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I'm not sure if this fits here, but what foods can I feed my pigs while I'm broke

Bucky_Rambo

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I'm not sure if this the right thread, if not, please point me in the direction I need to be in because I need all the help I can get. Anyway, My guinea pigs have eaten all their hay and I have money to spend until this Friday, I've been trying to give them fruits and veggies until then, but for the most part they aren't really on board with eating anything. All I have on me is celery stalks (I cut them up), some red delicious apples, spaghetti squash, and that's pretty much it as far as stuff that I can just take. What has me equally concerned is Bucky and Rambo are trying to eat their bedding, I'm worried that they'll get sick. What foods can I feed them for future reference and is there anything I can do to have them hold over on the veggies and apples I have for now?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They need hay. You need to borrow some money and get them some.

Veggies are more expensive than hay anyway, and they're far less important in a pig's diet. Hay is what keeps their teeth ground down and their digestive tracts moving properly. They can live and do well without veggies, but not without hay.

And definitely don't overdo it on the apples. Guinea pigs weren't designed to process sugar well, and fruit can cause a major gut problem. You may wind up with vet bills on top of not having enough money for food. Fruit should be only an occasional treat in a small amount.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this is an option for you (In terms of were you live). If there is a farm supply near you (or a store like it). They will usually sell you a whole bale of timothy hay for 20 dollars. This bale is about 30 times the hay in a regular hay bag.

Bucky_Rambo

Cavy Slave
I'd have to look around to make check. Thank you very much

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.