Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is cigarette smell dangerous for my piggies ?

Jiin_Snicket

Cavy Gazer
Hello,
I got 2 piggies a few months ago. One of them came from a pet shop (I know, bad choice) and was pregnant. She gave birth this week-end, everything went ok and I now have five piggies (one I believe is a male).

The reason why I'm here is because I'm worried for my babies. I live in a small studio (I don't remember exactly but no more than 30m?) and so I don't have much of a choice to where my piggies have to live.
The studio is located in a building with very weak isolation. It means we hear everything the upstairs neighbours are doing, and they're very loud when passing through the corridor. But they also smell...

They're heavy smokers and everytime they come upstairs or downstairs, there is that strong tobacco smell everywhere in the building, and that includes my studio (and the one downstairs). The best way to fix the smell quickly is to light some scented candles but I know they're not good for piggies (and for me). The neighbours are avoiding me since I complained about the noises so I can't ask them to be careful about that (and they won't make any effort anyway) and the landlord absolutely don't care about that (he just told me to "tell them that" and don't want to help more than that).

So I was wondering if that tobacco smell is dangerous for my piggies and even worse for the babies ? I've read about thirdhand smoking and I'm afraid this might get them sick. What can I do to avoid that ?

I've read about installing an air purifier but are those costy/worth it ? Do they take a lot of space ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't compound the problem by lighting scented candles, The occasional odor of smoke won't hurt them.

Jiin_Snicket

Cavy Gazer
That's reassuring, thank you bpatters. :)

Jiin_Snicket

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your answer. I think I'll get an air purifier. I saw a little one for 48.99€ that look ideal for small rooms (there are cheapest ones on amazon but can't buy there, I'll take another look when I'm at the store).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.