Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Pretends to be a rescue, is actually just a backyard breeder!

Medina

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I joined because my guinea pig was pregnant and I needed advice.
She's had the babies and they're all very healthy and happy.

Now I've found this part of the forum and I want to share my experience.
Long story short, I responded to an ad on CL by a woman claiming she had rescued 12 guinea pigs from a bad situation.
Many of them had babies and she needed to rehome them ASAP. I was looking to rescue a young male as a companion for my adult male.
I ended up with a pregnant female.

About the place...
When I got there, she showed me around. Her house was dusty and quite messy (not as bad as hoarders, but still not good.)
There were MANY animals. Loose rabbits all over the house - one of which she said was a male who just kept on mating with other loose females. No cages.
I know she had at least one dog.
Her entire sun room was C&C, wire play fences, wire mesh, and bird/rat cages filled with guinea pigs and bunnies living on the bare minimum...
Yellow hay, about 1-2 square feet per 2-5 GPs, filthy water, pellets only. One larger C&C on the floor looked like it was 4ft by 4ft and must have had like 15ish GPs in it.
The yellow hay doubled as the bedding mixed with a little pine-type bedding.
They were not socialized, stressed out, skittish and their cages looked like they hadn't even been swept up in over a month.
I told her that she needed help with the rescue effort and she should reach out to some local rescues (then I shared them with her.)

I am a stupid idiot and took home my guinea pig AND paid her a little extra to help with her "rescue efforts."
You can judge me, but I was trying to help at the time and all I knew was that I didn't want to buy from a pet store.

NOW she is posting to CL using the same photos from the "rescue ad" but now she is VERY clearly a BREEDER in the new ads!!
She's even advertising that they can live with bunnies.
She says she's been raising them for years - totally different story than she told me!
You can almost see what I'm talking about in her photos.
Here it is: (broken link removed)

I would love it if we could put a stop to this. :sad:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Report her to Craigslist,

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
I looked at the add and they look SO scared in that little corner! There is also wire underneath their feet?! How can people do this?!��

Medina

Cavy Gazer
I looked at the add and they look SO scared in that little corner! There is also wire underneath their feet?! How can people do this?!��

I know, and animal control for Atlanta (and surrounding areas) is just not very active or involved unfortunately. I called them once before about a stray dog with puppies in a nearby road and they never came. I ended up having to take them all in for a few weeks until the humane society had enough room to take them for rehoming.

I feel bad about these GPs and the rabbits as well. Every time I flag the ad, she reposts.:mad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.