Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone.

dmcupenn

Cavy Gazer
Hello and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this great community. I am a veterinarian in Pennsylvania but I have never really taken care of many Guinea Pigs or other "pocket pets". There is however a new pet guinea pig in my future (near future).
I look forward to learning a lot and making new friends.

Thanks Again

Dave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome, Dave!

You've come to the right place. This is one of the greatest sources of information for guinea pigs available, and the members here are second to none.

Many, many, MANY years of experience among the members. Glad to have you join us!

dmcupenn

Cavy Gazer
Thanks again!
My new Midwest cage is on its way. Got the big one and will expand in the future. Still need to get the guinea pigs that are right for me. Some local ones available from rescues and people wanting to find new homes for some. I will probably get females...I was thinking 2. Any suggestions?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Females are a good place to start, and rescues are the best place to do it. Piggies always do better in pairs, we never recommend lone pigs. A Midwest cage, however, is nowhere near big enough for one pig, never mind two.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/

Right on the front page is a size chart with recommendations for pigs. There's a mininum, and a recommended size. Bigger is always better.

dmcupenn

Cavy Gazer
looks like about 10 square feet recommended for 2. The cage I bought is just under 8 square feet . I guess I will be connecting another cage! That's ok..i was going to expand anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.