Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Our two guinea pigs are drinking little water (but demanding more lettuce).Concern?

williampianist

Cavy Slave
Our two 1.5 yo female guinea pigs are drinking less and less water, but seem quite healthy and happy. They do demand quite some lettuce, so I think that's their main source of water now. Should we be concerned about this? They used to drink reasonable amount of water (perhaps 70% normal amount people say) but now together they drink perhaps one ounce a day. I'm thinking maybe getting a new water bottle to try. Or maybe they didn't get enough exercise, being in the cage most of the time, should we let them run around in the basement more?

Thanks!

williampianist

Cavy Slave
Update: We bought a new water bottle, the piggies at first did not show interest. But we also chose not to give them lettuce today but only hay and pellets. And they drank at least 5-6 oz of water. I guess because they love lettuce and we gave them plenty, so they don't feel the need to drink from the water bottle. The new water bottle also might have an easier snout to deal with? Anyhow they're happy before and they're happy now. I guess no real need to worry about. Thanks for the suggestion!

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
I would shed tears of joy if I could see my piggies drink even one ounce of water. My piggies don't drink any water, and they're fine. I feed cucumber and wet vegetables everyday though, so they're fine.

williampianist

Cavy Slave
Indeed, when we give the piggies vegetables freely, they started drinking less and less water now, despite the new water bottle. I guess they prefer the water content in the veggie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.