Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet Percy :)

Andreaconner329

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and Percy. I got him a few days ago from petsmart He's my first guinea pig. I will be getting another one next week so he isn't all alone :)petsmart had no idea how old he is... So I'm hoping someone might have an estimate to help me. He's pretty small and can sit in my hand

Snapchat-1719054553.jpgIMG_20180210_171000.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no way to know how old he is, but PetSmart usually sells pretty young animals. Since you're going to get another, would you consider getting one from a rescue rather than a pet store?

And when you do get one, don't put them together until you've turned them both over and compared their private parts. We've had many a pregnant "male" on here when the pet store employees couldn't tell one sex from the other.

Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

And recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Andreaconner329

Cavy Slave
Thank you. And yes id like to get from a rescue but IDK if any in my area. I've decided after taking to my husband that we are going to get 2 more to have 3 guys in total. I'm going to build a 2x5 c&c cage with a 2x2 loft

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome, @Andreaconner329!

I would like to second bpatters recommendation of getting from a rescue.

I would definitely like to say do NOT get 2 more male pigs. Boar trios virtually NEVER work out (I can speak from experience on this) and one buddy for Percy would be plenty! He certainly is an adorable little boy, and another little boy close to his age would be just about perfect.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Percy is likely about 4 wks old from your description. A cavy-savvy Vet can often pretty accurately determine the age of a cavy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do NOT get three boars. If you've have two that get along, you'll be well ahead of the game. If you want more than that, set yourself up for two boar pairs.

Where are you? We might be able to help you find a rescue.

Andreaconner329

Cavy Slave
OK and thank you. I will just get one more little guy then :) I am in Lexington North Carolina

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try www.petfinder.com. Choose "small and furry" for the type, and "guinea pig" for the breed.

Contact any rescue within 100 miles or so of you. Rescues are most often a group of foster homes, and some of the homes can be quite far from the listed address. Also contact them whether they've got exactly what you're looking for or not. They're all run by volunteers, and they can get pretty far behind keeping the website updated.

Also google "guinea pig rescues lexington nc" without the quotes. There are several rescues around you.

ssjjbb11

Cavy Slave
Very cute, although Guinea pigs are not my favorite rodents due to the fact that they are usually very scared unless they know you but I will say he / she is definitely adorable another reason that I don't really like them is this next little tidbit. And don't get upset I figure everybody should know the facts I'm sure you might have even seen them do this. Here we go:

Did you know:?After its cage has been cleaned, a guinea pig typically urinates and drags its lower body across the floor of the cage to mark its territory. Wikipedia

I do the same thing every time my wife cleans the bathroom but she always hits me with the broom I don't get it.

As I said that is a very cute guinea pig we have a Siberian hamster, a crested gecko a bearded dragon and a Holland Lop rabbit and we used to have a German Shepherd we had to put her down 2 years ago and she was 14 her name was Sable she was a very good dog. Okay have a nice day. And if by some chance I know you and I'm just telling you information that you know already I'm sorry take care bye

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you know:? After its cage has been cleaned, a guinea pig typically urinates and drags its lower body across the floor of the cage to mark its territory.

I didn't know, and neither did whoever wrote the Wikipedia article, because guinea pigs don't do that. Never trust Wikipedia. Anybody can write anything there.

ssjjbb11

Cavy Slave
I didn't know, and neither did whoever wrote the Wikipedia article, because guinea pigs don't do that. Never trust Wikipedia. Anybody can write anything there.
No there are entirely too many different websites that say the exact same thing now I know why when I was young growing up in Florida of course the added heat didn't help but why the guinea pig cages always stunk so bad I mean there's nothing wrong with it there an animal that's marking their territory look at male cats if they are on altered they do the same thing they spray and mark their territory I could just never understand why guinea pigs always stunk so much and my one friend had a guinea pig and didn't smell it all so maybe that one was a female who knows they're cute that's all I know

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.