Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Changes in shape of eye/ protruding eye

Herdmother

Cavy Slave
Hello all, my pig patches had had some changes in one eye recently. From what I?ve read so far, I?m worried. This pig was adopted from a very sketchy home, I believe he was a result of a breeder. I actually adopted him because he had a bad eye, based on the living conditions I feared that his ?deformity? would make him worthless to the owner, and cause his demise. Anyway, I was told he was blind in one eye, and have never had any issue with it. I even had a friends mother (a vet) take a look and she thought it was fine. Recently though, the eye has seemed noticeably larger. I don?t know how I haven?t noticed it before but from looking at pictures it appears to have happened slowly, as he has grown, which may have made it look more proportional.
1557900B-E21D-42D4-BAEC-2C6CE3C4802E.jpg4A20CEA7-24EC-4AAA-AD37-9C6CF9B14EC5.jpg
I?m not sure why the one photo is upside down, but hopefully these help.
I found a new exotics vet and plan to take him in ASAP. From the research I?ve done so far I believe it might be a tumor , cyst, or infection. The fact that the eye has been that way since birth has me a bit tangled up, on one hand I?m less worried about a tumor, but a genetic problem could be more serious.
So im ranting a little, but if anyone has seen or dealt with something similar please share. I?m currently out of work so any discussion around pricing for surgery, vet visits, antibiotics, whatever - I?d love the input! My little guys come first, but I do need to try to figure out financing/ applying for a new card / whatever it takes ahead of time.
Thank you!!!
Sidenote - The first vet (friends Mom) who looked at him no longer lives in state.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That looks painful. It could be glaucoma, an abscess from a tooth root infection, any number of things really... I would take your little one to an experienced vet very, very quickly. He will probably need to have the eye removed, but obviously I am on the internet and am not a vet, but it is definitely a critical, very likely life-threatening problem.

Herdmother

Cavy Slave
That looks painful. It could be glaucoma, an abscess from a tooth root infection, any number of things really... I would take your little one to an experienced vet very, very quickly. He will probably need to have the eye removed, but obviously I am on the internet and am not a vet, but it is definitely a critical, very likely life-threatening problem.
Thank you for getting back so quickly! Unfortunately the only recommended vet I could find wont be open this weekend, I've put in a few calls and emails, and plan on doing so first thing Monday morning as well. He has been acting chipper as ever, active on my lap and exploring during floor time, no changes in appetite, no weight loss, so fingers crossed he will be okay until I can get him in. Of all my pigs, I have the strongest bond with him, so I’m really hoping for a miracle here!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.