Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Rumblestrutting over hidey

I have two lovely female guinea pigs, the older is Fiona and I believe is about 5-6 months. The younger is Hazel and is 3 or about 4 months. Fiona has been rumblestrutting over a giant pigloo I have for them. She won?t let Hazel in and nips at her whenever she is in until she gets out. Hazel got to the point where Fiona would just kick her out of every hidey and runs away whenever Fiona is near her. I?ll be away for the weekend, and I?m going to leave them separated while I?m gone until I get back on Wednesday. Is this just a dominance behavior, and I should just let it happen? That?s what I?m leaning towards. Tell me anything else though! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Rumblestrutting over hidey

Oh sorry, with all the apostrophes, they turned into question marks for some reason.... uhhh yeah. Lol

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,735 Rec'd/5,324 Posts
    Mentioned
    1930 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

Either throw out the pigloo or cut another hole in it. No hidey in a guinea pig cage should have only one door. That's just an invitation to squabble. If I had my way, it would illegal to sell pigloos. :-)

Also, how large is the cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression.

After that long a separation, you'll have to do full reintroductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Okay, thanks so much!
    My cage isn?t that big, and I?ve been trying to get a bigger cage, but I can?t seem to find room for it or the right kind of cage space for them.
    I will definitely make another opening in my pigloo too.

I don?t know if this appeals to any of this, but it was just recently happening for the past 2 weeks after I?ve had them together for a month or a little under. Nobody has been fighting either, just rumblestrutting and a bit of nipping.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,735 Rec'd/5,324 Posts
    Mentioned
    1930 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

You need to enlarge the cage, or you WILL have problems. Take a look at the photo galleries for ideas on how to arrange cages -- it may be easier to see on a computer. Here's the link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/

It's their age. Puberty's not as bad for sows as for boars, but you'll still have some drama.

6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks so much! I?ll definitely see what I can do, I want to get a new cage ASAP!

User Tag List