Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Where Can I Put My Guinea Pigs? (HELP, PLEASE)

TBSam

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs names aero and mars i took great care of them for the last year, all tho my dad finally moved to our house cause we lived in another country. We already had lots of furniture in our new house but now the cargo came from the old house we were in. we unboxed everything and filled up the house. we threw away lots of things but now there is still no space for my guinea pigs they cant be in my room cause its so small and my parents wont let me put them in the living room so i was thinking downstairs again where they were they said there is no space so i decided to talk to you guys cause this is frustrating, i didint know it will be this full i also use a guinea pig habitat cage witch sucks. i was thinking a c&c but they are expensive if you buy them from a website we dont have coro where i live. what do i do is there any cages that are compact for small spaces but still give them the right cage size? any wall cages lol? because now we fight alot ab the guinea pigs and how much money is used. BUT i dont wanna give them away their my little children lol any ideas also cage tips to not make them smell like actuall poop:sick:

and i use aspen shaving and please dont say paper is good cause its expensive i need to take care with them nicely but on a budget if you know what im saying (have any questions ask below ill be great to answer)

I LOVE MY GUINEA PIGS :D but really tho i need help and a good cage and somewhere to put them.

Last edited:

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
Can you get a loft bed and put the cage underneath?

k.h.guineapig

Cavy Slave
I had my guinea pigs on the floor for a bit because I had just newly adopted them. For about a month or so I had them on the floor. I actually ended up taking off my closet doors, moving a table in there and putting the cage on top, and it worked splendidly! If you have any extra closets, take off the door and put in a folding table and it works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jshank

Cavy Gazer
What about making a cage with several levels and ramps connecting each level?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't want more than two levels with guinea pigs, and only one is better. They need a big flat space to run in.

jshank

Cavy Gazer
What does the forum think about building a multi-level cage; each level approximately 18 x 40 inches. Each level would have a connecting ramp for three guiea pigs to transit.

lissie

Cavy Slave
What does the forum think about building a multi-level cage; each level approximately 18 x 40 inches. Each level would have a connecting ramp for three guiea pigs to transit.

That's too small for guinea pigs.
See this size chart:
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 11.35.20 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Soecara

Cavy Slave
A cage consisting of multiple smaller levels aren't a good option for guinea pigs, they need a large flat area to properly exercise (and guinea pigs need to be able to exercise on their own terms, so taking them out of the cage for exercise is not a healthy long term solution). Another issue with multiple smaller leveled cages are, despite the maths adding up to the required amount of space, guinea pigs often will still act the same way they do when housed in cramped spaces, this can include increased aggression towards other guinea pigs and/or depressed behaviour.

At least one floor, on its own, of a multi level cage needs to meet the size requirements for the number of guinea pigs you have (so for 3 guinea pigs, at least one floor should be 13 square feet on its own). Guinea pigs can also bicker over ramps, and ramps take up floor space.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you have any extra closets, take off the door and put in a folding table and it works perfectly.

That is, assuming you don't mind how your clothes smell. :p

k.h.guineapig

Cavy Slave
Ha, yeah. I moved my clothes out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@TBSam, that is not suitable for guinea pigs, and it's beyond expensive. You can find a much better cage for much less money than that.

TBSam

Cavy Slave
then what cage im not allowed c&c for some reason because my mom dont like them

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can be anything you want. You just need something with a large flat area for them to run in. If you use a loft, it should be large enough for two pigs, and should have a wide, gently sloping ramp.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Here are some cages in the uk that are a good size for a pair (close to or over 1 square metre)

Here they are listed from smallest to largest. If you have two boys the biggest one (the rabbit 160) is the most suitable.

(broken link removed)
https://www.ferplast.com/gb/rabbit-140.html
(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
But if you use a cage like that, you need to cut another door in that bottom compartment. Not only is that a place that invites fighting, it would be difficult for you to separate them without sticking your hand in to grab one of them. And that could result in a bad bite on your hand.

TBSam

Cavy Slave
if only shipping to canada was a thing

Marie1234

Cavy Slave

TBSam

Cavy Slave
Thank you ahhh

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
Also, since you already have a Midwest habitat, you can easily reinforce the Midwest habitat floor with cubes using zip ties. Of if you have the Midwest plus with the cover you can zip tie the cover to the bottom. This makes it possible to put the Midwest up on a dresser or desk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.