Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

NMpiggy

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

My name is Laurie, I'm considering rescuing a pair of female guinea pigs. I'm from southern New Mexico, USA.

Does anyone know if Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter can be safe as guinea pig bedding?
Please let me know if you've tried it!

Thank you!
-Laurie

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, cat litter is not suitable. Cats use a litter box and then immediately get out. Guinea pigs are on their bedding all the time. Cat litter can be dusty, and the clumping kind can cause digestive problems if the pigs eat any of it.

NMpiggy

Cavy Gazer
No, cat litter is not suitable. Cats use a litter box and then immediately get out. Guinea pigs are on their bedding all the time. Cat litter can be dusty, and the clumping kind can cause digestive problems if the pigs eat any of it.

Yes but this is made from 100% grass, did you look at the product?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Well it looks like it is only technically made from grass. It seems as though it is actually made from white sorghum seeds.

"Frisco Grass Litter is actually made from 100% White Sorghum Seed. Sorghum is a member of the grass family, hence the name grass litter." https://www.chewy.com/app/product-questions/159433?questionSort=MOST_HELPFUL&pageNumber=1

I would not recommend using it. Clumping litter is dangerous if ingested, and I don't see how this litter would be any different in that sense, also I have no doubt guinea pigs would be likely to eat it.

NMpiggy

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your time, I appreciate your help!:love::love::love::love:

Well it looks like it is only technically made from grass. It seems as though it is actually made from white sorghum seeds.

"Frisco Grass Litter is actually made from 100% White Sorghum Seed. Sorghum is a member of the grass family, hence the name grass litter." https://www.chewy.com/app/product-questions/159433?questionSort=MOST_HELPFUL&pageNumber=1

I would not recommend using it. Clumping litter is dangerous if ingested, and I don't see how this litter would be any different in that sense, also I have no doubt guinea pigs would be likely to eat it.

NMpiggy

Cavy Gazer
Opinions, anyone else?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You have received good advice above.

Clumping litter of any kind is not safe for guinea pigs, regardless of what it is made of.

I would think that a grass based litter would be highly attractive for them to eat, which could be disastrous and result in intestinal blockages.

NMpiggy

Cavy Gazer
That is your opinion. It has been noted. Thank you for your time. Are there any differing opinions here? Anyone with actual experience?

You have received good advice above.

Clumping litter of any kind is not safe for guinea pigs, regardless of what it is made of.

I would think that a grass based litter would be highly attractive for them to eat, which could be disastrous and result in intestinal blockages.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Are there any differing opinions here? Anyone with actual experience?

I really don't think you are going to find any educated member here who would encourage you to use this. No one uses this product because it isn't safe.

Everyone who has replied to this thread has many years of extensive guinea pig knowledge and experience. I encourage you to look into alternative forms of bedding for your pigs. Apsen shavings, kiln dried pine shavings, wood pellets, paper pellets, carefresh (or equivalent products) and fleece are typically what is used and recommended.

NMpiggy

Cavy Gazer
I see. This thread so far shows me that this community follows opinions and doesn't research or try things out. You shun the opinions of others that may differ from your own and you attack new people. Good to know. FYI, feel free to close this thread as anyone "educated" who is a member wouldn't disagree with you now.

If you have *TRIED* OR ACTUALLY RESEARCHED THIS PRODUCT feel free to private message me.

I really don't think you are going
to find any educated member here who would encourage you to use this. No one uses this product because it isn't safe.

Everyone who has replied to this thread has many years of extensive guinea pig knowledge and experience. I encourage you to look into alternative forms of bedding for your pigs. Apsen shavings, kiln dried pine shavings, wood pellets, paper pellets, carefresh (or equivalent products) and fleece are typically what is used and recommended.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And you've been here one day and made several argumentative posts. You really did a lot of investigation to determine "that this community follows opinion and doesn't research or try things out," didn't you? And you've decided you were attacked because several people who are very knowledgeable about guinea pigs and what they'll eat didn't agree with you.

We wish you all the best with your pigs. I hope they survive your "educated" care.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I see. This thread so far shows me that this community follows opinions and doesn't research or try things out. You shun the opinions of others that may differ from your own and you attack new people.

I did research the product, as I was curious as to what would make a grass product clump, and I wanted to be able to form an informed opioion of the safety or lack thereof of the product. Though that research I found it clumps because it is seeds not grass. I came to the conclusion it is not safe as whole white sorghum seeds which the product is comprised of is not a safe material for a guinea pig to ingest as it clumps in the presence of fluid, and given my experience with guinea pigs they are very likely to ingest it.

I'm not sure what more you expect, it really seems like you just want someone to affirm your predetermined position and you have no interest in whether or not the product is actually safe.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.