Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie NMpiggy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 05, 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Question Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Hello,

    My name is Laurie, I'm considering rescuing a pair of female guinea pigs. I'm from southern New Mexico, USA.

    Does anyone know if Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter can be safe as guinea pig bedding?
    Please let me know if you've tried it!

    Thank you!
    -Laurie

  2. #2
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    26,085
    Thanks
    141
    Thanks
    6,731 Rec'd/5,320 Posts
    Mentioned
    1930 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3388 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    No, cat litter is not suitable. Cats use a litter box and then immediately get out. Guinea pigs are on their bedding all the time. Cat litter can be dusty, and the clumping kind can cause digestive problems if the pigs eat any of it.

  3. #3
    Cavy Newbie NMpiggy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 05, 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    No, cat litter is not suitable. Cats use a litter box and then immediately get out. Guinea pigs are on their bedding all the time. Cat litter can be dusty, and the clumping kind can cause digestive problems if the pigs eat any of it.
    Yes but this is made from 100% grass, did you look at the product?

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,489
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    422 Rec'd/359 Posts
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Well it looks like it is only technically made from grass. It seems as though it is actually made from white sorghum seeds.

    "Frisco Grass Litter is actually made from 100% White Sorghum Seed. Sorghum is a member of the grass family, hence the name grass litter." https://www.chewy.com/app/product-questions/159433?questionSort=MOST_HELPFUL&pageNumber=1

    I would not recommend using it. Clumping litter is dangerous if ingested, and I don't see how this litter would be any different in that sense, also I have no doubt guinea pigs would be likely to eat it.

  5. #5
    Cavy Newbie NMpiggy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 05, 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Thank you for your time, I appreciate your help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    Well it looks like it is only technically made from grass. It seems as though it is actually made from white sorghum seeds.

    "Frisco Grass Litter is actually made from 100% White Sorghum Seed. Sorghum is a member of the grass family, hence the name grass litter." https://www.chewy.com/app/product-qu...L&pageNumber=1

    I would not recommend using it. Clumping litter is dangerous if ingested, and I don't see how this litter would be any different in that sense, also I have no doubt guinea pigs would be likely to eat it.

  6. #6
    Cavy Newbie NMpiggy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 05, 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Opinions, anyone else?

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave sallyvh's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 23, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,276
    Thanks
    87
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    You have received good advice above.

    Clumping litter of any kind is not safe for guinea pigs, regardless of what it is made of.

    I would think that a grass based litter would be highly attractive for them to eat, which could be disastrous and result in intestinal blockages.

  8. #8
    Cavy Newbie NMpiggy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 05, 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    That is your opinion. It has been noted. Thank you for your time. Are there any differing opinions here? Anyone with actual experience?


    Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    You have received good advice above.

    Clumping litter of any kind is not safe for guinea pigs, regardless of what it is made of.

    I would think that a grass based litter would be highly attractive for them to eat, which could be disastrous and result in intestinal blockages.

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave sallyvh's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 23, 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,276
    Thanks
    87
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Quote Originally Posted by NMpiggy View Post
    Are there any differing opinions here? Anyone with actual experience?
    I really don't think you are going to find any educated member here who would encourage you to use this. No one uses this product because it isn't safe.

    Everyone who has replied to this thread has many years of extensive guinea pig knowledge and experience. I encourage you to look into alternative forms of bedding for your pigs. Apsen shavings, kiln dried pine shavings, wood pellets, paper pellets, carefresh (or equivalent products) and fleece are typically what is used and recommended.

  10. #10
    Cavy Newbie NMpiggy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 05, 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    I see. This thread so far shows me that this community follows opinions and doesn't research or try things out. You shun the opinions of others that may differ from your own and you attack new people. Good to know. FYI, feel free to close this thread as anyone "educated" who is a member wouldn't disagree with you now.

    If you have *TRIED* OR ACTUALLY RESEARCHED THIS PRODUCT feel free to private message me.


    Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    I really don't think you are going
    to find any educated member here who would encourage you to use this. No one uses this product because it isn't safe.

    Everyone who has replied to this thread has many years of extensive guinea pig knowledge and experience. I encourage you to look into alternative forms of bedding for your pigs. Apsen shavings, kiln dried pine shavings, wood pellets, paper pellets, carefresh (or equivalent products) and fleece are typically what is used and recommended.

  11. #11
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    26,085
    Thanks
    141
    Thanks
    6,731 Rec'd/5,320 Posts
    Mentioned
    1930 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3388 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    And you've been here one day and made several argumentative posts. You really did a lot of investigation to determine "that this community follows opinion and doesn't research or try things out," didn't you? And you've decided you were attacked because several people who are very knowledgeable about guinea pigs and what they'll eat didn't agree with you.

    We wish you all the best with your pigs. I hope they survive your "educated" care.

  12. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  13. #12
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,489
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    422 Rec'd/359 Posts
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

    Re: Bedding? Frisco All Natural Grass Clumping Cat Litter

    Quote Originally Posted by NMpiggy View Post
    I see. This thread so far shows me that this community follows opinions and doesn't research or try things out. You shun the opinions of others that may differ from your own and you attack new people.
    I did research the product, as I was curious as to what would make a grass product clump, and I wanted to be able to form an informed opioion of the safety or lack thereof of the product. Though that research I found it clumps because it is seeds not grass. I came to the conclusion it is not safe as whole white sorghum seeds which the product is comprised of is not a safe material for a guinea pig to ingest as it clumps in the presence of fluid, and given my experience with guinea pigs they are very likely to ingest it.

    I'm not sure what more you expect, it really seems like you just want someone to affirm your predetermined position and you have no interest in whether or not the product is actually safe.
    Last edited by Soecara; 02-06-18 at 11:54 pm.

  14. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:


User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •