Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds First time piggie owner. Is she sick

jaebird1991

Cavy Gazer
This past Friday I bought my first piggie. That day I seen she was sneezing but not too often. Now upon searching I see that it could possibly that she's sick or with upper respiratory infection and I think I'm freaking my own self out. She is occasionally sneezing, I think it is also coughing I am hearing from her, and I want to say I hear kind of like a gurgling sound when she is close up to my neck in ears. She is very shy but once I pick her up she wants nothing but cuddles. She make sure she gets up right around my neck and nose was it or tries to run to the back of my neck so I can't grab her and put her back in the cage if I have to do something. And that's been going on since I got her Saturday so as far as I can tell her behavior has not changed. My question is do I have something to worry about or am I freaking out because this is my first piggie? And just the short time I have had her I have already fallen in love with her and just want to know that she is okay I will be contacting the local vet in the morning just to see if they take guinea pigs or where I need to go after talking to them I will make up my mind. Photo as her about an hour ago when I was trying to put her up so I could get ready for work in the morning.
29e2d9a24ce5653faa7b9999329de02d.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
With those symptoms, I'd see a vet -- it's the gurgling sound that's most concerning. They can sneeze at something dusty, they can cough because they've got a piece of food in their throats, but the gurgling indicates a possible infection.

See an exotic vet -- small animal vets treat dogs and cats, and get very little training in the care of exotics. Some of them are downright dangerous.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

jaebird1991

Cavy Gazer
With those symptoms, I'd see a vet -- it's the gurgling sound that's most concerning. They can sneeze at something dusty, they can cough because they've got a piece of food in their throats, but the gurgling indicates a possible infection.

See an exotic vet -- small animal vets treat dogs and cats, and get very little training in the care of exotics. Some of them are downright dangerous.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!
I had an appointment set for Friday, but when I took lunch and went to check on her she had a runny nose finally so my brother is taking her tomorrow morning for me because I can't miss work I've got questions wrote down for him to ask and he is to let me know hopefully we caught it in time.

jaebird1991

Cavy Gazer
Just wanted to give a quick update on my Ares. She has been on medicine for a week and tonight she was very talkative. I have noticed that she does seem to be feeling better but she still been pretty quiet. But tonight she was just a chattering with me. She doesn't come out as much but I think that's cuz I've already spoiled her and I made her her own fleece Hut type deal. And she is obsessed with it only comes out long enough to eat use the bathroom and she snuggles right back in even when I pull her out to just love and cuddle her. So I believe she is doing much better. Below is a updated picture of her in her little fleece thing I made her.
df2f450048aad3fa2684b699aa8251b1.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.