Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello there

hughewil

Cavy Gazer
Joined to look arund for cage ideas. We have 1 guinea pig but want to get a second so I am going to make a bigger cage.

guineapigfamily

Cavy Gazer
Joined to look arund for cage ideas. We have 1 guinea pig but want to get a second so I am going to make a bigger cage.
A C&C cage for them would be great[emoji4] im busy cleaning mine atm so exuse the extra bits and bobs haha, also exuse the separation, i just got a 7mths old boar so until desexed he has to be separated
9b3dcdde71f247b4c34a68b7c9493af6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hughewil

Cavy Gazer
dwayne.jpg

his name is dwayne

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome, [MENTION=41412]hughewil[/MENTION], and welcome to you too Dwayne! What a handsome little fella!

hughewil

Cavy Gazer
dwayne.jpg

Dwayne's new home, just have to finish the loft and get him a piggy friend

dwayne2.jpg

hughewil

Cavy Gazer
finished cage with fleece forest in the loft, getting him a new friend tomorrow
dwayne4.jpg
dwayne3.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nice job on Dwayne's new castle!

I hope all goes well finding him a buddy, and the two of them live happily together!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Nice work! Just one suggestion.........give serious consideration to making in loft at least 2x2. A 1x2 loft simply isn't large enough for two cavies, and especially boars. Invariably, they will want to both be in the loft at the same time.

I have a 2x5 cage with an offset 2x2 loft for my boys. If I had the space, it would no doubt be larger. The offset loft works perfectly because my cage is back in a corner and with the offset, I can still easily clean the main level. I'll post a couple of pics below so that you can see the difference in the loft configuration. The diagram of the offset loft below is not my loft, but similar in design.

Crowded Loft.jpg Loft3.jpg Offset loft design.jpg

Also, you may wish to consider raising your cage off the floor. Cavies tend to be less intimidated if they don't feel so overwhelmed with the giant creatures that we appear to be. You can make a grid stand to perfectly fit your cage, and also consider putting casters on the bottom of the cage to move it for easy cleaning.

Also since you have a covered cage, I suspect that you have dogs or cats in the house? Raising the height of the cage helps to move your cavies away from curious eyes and paws.

hughewil

Cavy Gazer
Hi

If you look at the picture up above before the loft was finished you will see the cage is already raised, it doesn't sit on the floor.

Attachments

dwayne.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you look at the picture up above before the loft was finished you will see the cage is already raised, it doesn't sit on the floor.

So it is! I missed that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.