Thread: Hello there

Hello there

Joined to look arund for cage ideas. We have 1 guinea pig but want to get a second so I am going to make a bigger cage.

Re: Hello there

Quote Originally Posted by hughewil View Post
    Joined to look arund for cage ideas. We have 1 guinea pig but want to get a second so I am going to make a bigger cage.
    A C&C cage for them would be great[emoji4] im busy cleaning mine atm so exuse the extra bits and bobs haha, also exuse the separation, i just got a 7mths old boar so until desexed he has to be separated

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the best place to find ideas for building cages. Good for you on wanting to get your piggy a companion. You will love seeing how happy pigs are when they have a friend.

I would love to see a picture of your piggy.

There are jillions of pictures here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwayne.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	84099

his name is dwayne

Welcome, [MENTION=41412]hughewil[/MENTION], and welcome to you too Dwayne! What a handsome little fella!

Views:	13 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	84188

Dwayne's new home, just have to finish the loft and get him a piggy friend

Name:	dwayne2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	84189

What a beautiful home you have made for Dwayne. He's a very lucky little pig to have such a good owner. Good luck on finding him a companion. I'm sure he will be so excited to have a new roommate.

finished cage with fleece forest in the loft, getting him a new friend tomorrow

Name:	dwayne4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	84202

Name:	dwayne3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	84203

Nice job on Dwayne's new castle!

I hope all goes well finding him a buddy, and the two of them live happily together!

Nice work! Just one suggestion.........give serious consideration to making in loft at least 2x2. A 1x2 loft simply isn't large enough for two cavies, and especially boars. Invariably, they will want to both be in the loft at the same time.

I have a 2x5 cage with an offset 2x2 loft for my boys. If I had the space, it would no doubt be larger. The offset loft works perfectly because my cage is back in a corner and with the offset, I can still easily clean the main level. I'll post a couple of pics below so that you can see the difference in the loft configuration. The diagram of the offset loft below is not my loft, but similar in design.

Name:  Crowded Loft.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  63.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loft3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	84207 Name:  Offset loft design.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  47.5 KB

Also, you may wish to consider raising your cage off the floor. Cavies tend to be less intimidated if they don't feel so overwhelmed with the giant creatures that we appear to be. You can make a grid stand to perfectly fit your cage, and also consider putting casters on the bottom of the cage to move it for easy cleaning.

Also since you have a covered cage, I suspect that you have dogs or cats in the house? Raising the height of the cage helps to move your cavies away from curious eyes and paws.

Hi

If you look at the picture up above before the loft was finished you will see the cage is already raised, it doesn't sit on the floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	84210  

Quote Originally Posted by hughewil View Post
    If you look at the picture up above before the loft was finished you will see the cage is already raised, it doesn't sit on the floor.
    So it is! I missed that.