Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Watery eye? Always means an injury?

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
As an extremely paranoid guinea daddy, I worry about almost every single abnormality I see in my guinea pig, and I am now worried about my guinea pig's watery eye, if it's even considered a watery eye.

For the past few days, I've been noticing a little shine in one eye of my guinea pig, Zyrtec(yes, the allergy medicine, I have two guinea pigs. Advil and Zyrtec, these two names touch my heart in a way none of you will understand:)). Only one eyes seems to have a pretty noticeable glimmer and the other seems fine. Zyrtec is acting fine, he eats, poops, pees, popcorns(idek his popcorns look like little twerks), and he even chit chats to himself, so he seems super happy and healthy, and I'm just confused if that watery eye is even a problem. His eye was watery a minute ago, and now he looks fine. Now I'm even certain that the "watery eye" was just the light above the pigs making their eyes shine. Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt seriously that it's anything to worry about.

If his eye has tears running down his cheek, or if there's dried gunk in the corner, he may have a blocked tear duct. And I suppose the watery sign that you see could be the beginning of one of those. What you do is take a warm damp cloth and very very gently massage the corner of the eye. If there's a blockage, that may clear it up.

advil zyrtec

Cavy Slave
What you do is take a warm damp cloth and very very gently massage the corner of the eye.
How should I handle the squirming guinea pig as I massage his eye? Will any other problems occur if I poke or hit his eye?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.