Thread: Watery eye? Always means an injury?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Watery eye? Always means an injury?

As an extremely paranoid guinea daddy, I worry about almost every single abnormality I see in my guinea pig, and I am now worried about my guinea pig's watery eye, if it's even considered a watery eye.

For the past few days, I've been noticing a little shine in one eye of my guinea pig, Zyrtec(yes, the allergy medicine, I have two guinea pigs. Advil and Zyrtec, these two names touch my heart in a way none of you will understand:)). Only one eyes seems to have a pretty noticeable glimmer and the other seems fine. Zyrtec is acting fine, he eats, poops, pees, popcorns(idek his popcorns look like little twerks), and he even chit chats to himself, so he seems super happy and healthy, and I'm just confused if that watery eye is even a problem. His eye was watery a minute ago, and now he looks fine. Now I'm even certain that the "watery eye" was just the light above the pigs making their eyes shine. Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,056 Rec'd/5,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3649 Post(s)

Re: Watery eye? Always means an injury?

I doubt seriously that it's anything to worry about.

If his eye has tears running down his cheek, or if there's dried gunk in the corner, he may have a blocked tear duct. And I suppose the watery sign that you see could be the beginning of one of those. What you do is take a warm damp cloth and very very gently massage the corner of the eye. If there's a blockage, that may clear it up.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Watery eye? Always means an injury?

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    What you do is take a warm damp cloth and very very gently massage the corner of the eye.
    How should I handle the squirming guinea pig as I massage his eye? Will any other problems occur if I poke or hit his eye?

User Tag List