Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Guinea pig wont stop mounting new one

So I got my one male guinea pig, Thor, about a month ago. I just today got a new baby, Loki. I?m not really sure how old either of them are because I got them both when they were babies, but there?s a clear age and size difference between Thor and Loki. Thor will not leave the baby alone and keeps mounting him every second for the past two hours since I got Loki. I know Thor is just trying to show that he is the dominant one but Loki is crying so much and he sounds so distressed and I can?t really do anything. I?ve been checking Loki and he doesn?t have any bites on him so I don?t think Thor is necessarily hurting him that bad but I hate the sound of Loki crying and I need to know how long this will go on for. I tried looking up as much as I could but I couldn?t seem to find any clear information. Should I be interfering and pulling Thor off of Loki or should I separate them and what about leaving them over night?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Re: Guinea pig wont stop mounting new one

Quote Originally Posted by faculae.angel View Post
    So I got my one male guinea pig, Thor, about a month ago. I just today got a new baby, Loki. I?m not really sure how old either of them are because I got them both when they were babies, but there?s a clear age and size difference between Thor and Loki. Thor will not leave the baby alone and keeps mounting him every second for the past two hours since I got Loki. I know Thor is just trying to show that he is the dominant one but Loki is crying so much and he sounds so distressed and I can?t really do anything. I?ve been checking Loki and he doesn?t have any bites on him so I don?t think Thor is necessarily hurting him that bad but I hate the sound of Loki crying and I need to know how long this will go on for. I tried looking up as much as I could but I couldn?t seem to find any clear information. Should I be interfering and pulling Thor off of Loki or should I separate them and what about leaving them over night?

Hello!
    Sometime ago I was considering getting a new baby Guinea pig. I was told that I had to introduce him to my older Guinea pig slowly, during supervised playtime (for several days) to make sure the little one would be safe. I was told not to leave them in the same cage until they were ready. Even if the older one is not hurting the baby (physically) right now, it could still happen. It must be horribly frightening for the baby guinea pig to be there right now.... :-(

Thanks
    Thanks
    422 Rec'd/359 Posts
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig wont stop mounting new one

Sometimes during introduction the guinea pig that is being mounted will cry, not because they are being hurt, but rather as part of submitting. One of my girls used to cry at the top of her lungs if one of the other girls simply touched her bum with their nose, she stopped doing it so much after about three weeks but she is still a bit of a drama queen. It sounds terrible to us but you should not interfere at all.

It will continue throughout introductions, and will continue when you move them into the cage, but should calm down after a day or two of being in the cage together. You may continue to hear it throughout their "puberty" phase (until they are over 1 year old), but as long as no one is bleeding leave them to work it out on their own.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,744 Rec'd/5,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3393 Post(s)

How did you introduce them? Was it in a neutral area, or did you just put the new pig in Thor's cage?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I took Loki out a few moments after posting this and he’s in a different cage. I did stick him into Thor’s cage and I realize that that was a mistake. I’m going to give Loki a week alone in his cage, which is next to thor’s to just get used to being here before I have them out together for floor time. After they get used to each other during floor time I’ll movie Loki into Thor’s cage. Does that sound like the good thing to do?

Thanks
    Thanks
    422 Rec'd/359 Posts
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

Don't let them have floor time together if you aren't intending to put them in one cage together. Every time you put them together they have to start establishing dominance from scratch, the more times you put them together and split them up the more stress they will experience. Introductions should be a one and done event, have a read of this page https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

For now leave Loki in his own cage until you have enough time free to do full introductions. It is ideal to do introductions when you have a several hours free (or ideally a whole day free), to keep an eye on them.

7. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    Don't let them have floor time together if you aren't intending to put them in one cage together. Every time you put them together they have to start establishing dominance from scratch, the more times you put them together and split them up the more stress they will experience. Introductions should be a one and done event, have a read of this page https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

For now leave Loki in his own cage until you have enough time free to do full introductions. It is ideal to do introductions when you have a several hours free (or ideally a whole day free), to keep an eye on them.
    Well I do want to keep them together because Thor?s current cage is very big, double or maybe triple the size of the one Loki is in. I am going to keep Loki in the other cage for a week and I want to see if I can get him a check up to make sure he isn?t sick before as well. Thank you for letting me know, I?ll definitely clear a day for introductions between them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    422 Rec'd/359 Posts
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

Sorry, what I meant was don't let them have floor time together until they are living together. Until they are properly introduced only let them have floor time seperately.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,430 Rec'd/982 Posts
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Quoted
    686 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    Sorry, what I meant was don't let them have floor time together until they are living together. Until they are properly introduced only let them have floor time seperately.
    I think what you meant to say is "don't let them have floor time together until you are ready for them to start living together". Once they are living together, they are already in the same cage. Living in the same cage should only happen after they have been properly introduced.

User Tag List